*Shannon Gaels midfielder, Darragh Bohannon. Photograph: Burren Eye Photography

AN APPEAL has been lodged by Shannon Gaels following their exit from the Clare IFC.

It took sudden death in a penalty shootout to separate Kildysart and Shannon Gaels in Sunday’s quarter-final with Emmet McMahon netting the winning penalty to send last year’s beaten finalists through to the semi-finals.

That the two teams are neighbours and local rivals added to the drama before a ball was kicked with many of the players on both sides having attended school together and also winning the U21A championship last year as part of the Cill Cúil Gaels amalgamation.

McMahon scored the first and last penalty for the winners. Luke McGrath, Rory McMahon and Conor Hassett also hit the target for the three-time intermediate champions. A miss from Brian Eyers saw the tie decided via sudden death.

Aaron Malone Smyth had two penalties saved for the Gaels who saw Fergal Kenny, Tomás Cleary, Darragh Bohannon and Eoin Keane hit the back of the net.

However, it emerged following the game that two of the Kildysart penalty takers, Rory McMahon and Conor Hassett had not featured in extra time yet took spot kicks.

Speaking to The Clare Echo on Tuesday night, Shannon Gaels manager, Michael Crehan said they were awaiting the submission of referee Pat Keane’s report to the County Board before making their next move.

On Wednesday, Shannon Gaels formally lodged an appeal with the County Board. “I can confirm that Shannon Gaels have lodged an objection to Kildysart introducing six substitutes in extra time which is there more than the allowed number,” secretary of Shannon Gaels, David O’Connell told The Clare Echo.

With the appeal only lodged, no date for a hearing has been set. However, as per GAA guidelines, the Shannon Gaels hearing will have to take place within three days and Clare GAA officials are hopeful to convene a meeting before the weekend.

A potential delay to the Clare IFC is on the cards as a result with the possibility of a replay one outcome if Shannon Gaels are successful in their appeal, the hosting of such a fixture could push the semi-finals back by two weeks.

Related News

quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
timmy dooley jennifer carroll macneill joe cooney 1-2
Minister defends decision to choose new hospital for region before visiting Clare
dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
Latest News
kilmurry ibrickane vs éire óg 02-05-26 gary twomey 1
Ennistymon's Twomey to take charge of Munster minor final
timmy dooley jennifer carroll macneill joe cooney 1-2
Minister defends decision to choose new hospital for region before visiting Clare
st josephs doora barefield vs clooney quin 15-03-26 eoin lahiffe daragh keogh 1
Seven quarter-final spots filled in Clare Cup following penultimate round
dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
lorna mcnamara 1-2
Player of the month award for Lorna Mc
Premium
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.