*Donal Moloney. Photograph: Martin Connolly

Donal Moloney has been ‘disrespected’ by the manner in which the process of appointing Clare’s next senior hurling manager has been carried out, members of his backroom team have stated.

First appointed as Joint Manager with Gerry O’Connor in October 2016, Moloney has been left in limbo since O’Connor stepped down last month which was first reported by The Clare Echo. Their three year term ended when Clare failed to progress out of Munster this year and in August, the Scariff man put his name forward for the post of manager when Gerry resigned.

No selection process has been outlined by the County Board with club delegates told in September that they will be presented with further information at their October meeting while in an interview days after O’Connor’s exit, Chairperson Joe Cooney stated they were “keeping their options open”.

On Tuesday, Mark Dunphy who has been a member of the backroom team since 2015 publicly criticised the way the situation has been handled.

“One person has publicly confirmed their interest in the Clare Senior hurling job. County Final coming up and still no management appointed or an indication of what the selection process is. Massively disrespectful to Donal Moloney and the players who deserve better,” the communications officer tweeted. Wing-back David Fitzgerald and Shannon’s Aaron Cunningham were among those who liked Dunphy’s tweet.

Niall O’Connor, a maor caman during the Moloney and O’Connor underage set-ups has been part of the senior backroom team. He also took to social media to voice his disapproval. “I have seen the sacrifices the man vying for the Clare senior hurling job has given to Clare over the last two decades. The way he has been treated in the past few weeks is awful basically kept on a piece of string, listening to rumours and looking at false newspaper articles. Players and clubs should be asking questions how this is been handled and look how our competitors are conducting their business. Regardless of who is over them I’m sure we will rise again but that man deserves more than what he’s getting now.

Related News

uhl front
UHL hospital parking income rises 222% as calls made to phase out charges
Credit: Maeve Stone || The image features Rowan Gleeson, 8, at the Wonder Window in Miltown Malbay
‘Wonder Window’ to bring nature and creativity to Miltown Malbay
house construction building
Over 300 homes commenced construction in Clare so far this year
Shannon Airport (3)
Shannon Airport shortlisted for major aviation industry award
Latest News
uhl front
UHL hospital parking income rises 222% as calls made to phase out charges
Credit: Maeve Stone || The image features Rowan Gleeson, 8, at the Wonder Window in Miltown Malbay
‘Wonder Window’ to bring nature and creativity to Miltown Malbay
house construction building
Over 300 homes commenced construction in Clare so far this year
sixmilebridge vs newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-26 david kennedy 1
Bridge have everything to play for in final round
Shannon Airport (3)
Shannon Airport shortlisted for major aviation industry award
Premium
CAMOGIE: Winning starts for Inamona, Truagh/Clonlara, Scariff/Ogonnelloe & Newmarket-on-Fergus
Kilmaley must scale The Bridge to take top spot in Group 3
'Inagh/Kilnamona are best team in this year's Clare SHC'- says Clonlara boss Madden ahead of crunch clash
Feakle Festival hits the high notes with 'biggest festival ever'
'We were by no means perfect' - Éire Óg ship three goals for first time since 2020

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.