*Cllr PJ Kelly. Photograph: John Mangan

Senior officials of Clare County Council are guilty of “contempt” according to a Lissycasey representative who walked out of a meeting in protest at the decision making of local authority officials.

A “considerable” reduction to the income from development contributions has been recorded by Clare County Council in 2020. A total of €1.75m was received this year which is down on the approximate €3.71m in 2019. “It is very important for us to try keep the development contribution schemes coming in,” acting senior planner Helen Quinn outlined this week.

At Monday’s meeting of the Economic Development Strategic Policy Committee (SPC), Cllr PJ Kelly (FF) questioned how many applicants from areas of population decline benefited of the 50% discount” as passed following a motion at a meeting of the County Council.

In a written reply to that proposal, Director of Economic Development, Liam Conneally highlighted that any changes to the terms or charges of the scheme would “require the preparation and the making of an entirely new Development Contribution Scheme”.

Approximately €160k of a saving was recorded from the 25 percent discount, Quinn replied. “The 25% discount is what we are operating to,” she stated.

“Are you telling me the Executive did not comply with the lawful decision of the Council,” Cllr Kelly responded. He then outlined that there was ‘unanimous’ agreement to reduce planning contributions by fifty percent for areas of population decline, “has it not been honoured,” he asked.

Quinn said that they were operating from a scheme adopted in 2017 and not the notice of motion passed in recent weeks.

“Clare County Council lawfully decided in the same manner as it did previously, it is recorded in the minutes of the day that a 50% reduction apply. It is contempt of the Council if it is a fact. It was unanimous,” the long-serving councillor retorted.

Chair of the SPC, Cllr Pat McMahon (FF) informed Cllr Kelly that the matter would be investigated as he brought a halt to the discussion. Cllr Kelly then walked out of the meeting in protest.

Related News

donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
e scooter 1
'Chaotic' use of e-scooters in Kilrush
Latest News
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
e scooter 1
'Chaotic' use of e-scooters in Kilrush
banner gaa social 01-02-26 eoin fitzpatrick ronan kilroy caimin henchy 1
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 brendy rouine 1
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
galway greyhound stadium
Eighteenth win for Moy owned Cloneyogan Sydney
Premium
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener
Kilmihil man pleads guilty to careless driving causing serious bodily harm to boy
'They have everything else inside the Pale they don't need the River Shannon'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.