Shannon Group have insisted ‘an extensive marketing campaign’ was undertaken to entice domestic visitors to Mid-West attractions operated by Shannon Heritage.

On Thursday it was announced that €2.6m would be allocated to keep Bunratty Castle & Folk Park along with King John’s Castle open until the end of 2020. Knappogue, Cragguanowen and Dungaire Castle have remained shut since March.

Responding to queries from The Clare Echo on the work involved in the ‘extensive marketing campaign’, a spokesperson for Shannon Group said there had been “significant investment and effort in marketing” Bunratty Castle & Folk Park to domestic audiences since re-opening.

Criticism had been voiced by members of staff regarding the low-scale nature of the campaign with some flagging that they had not seen or heard anything to promote Bunratty Castle & Folk Park plus King John’s Castle to domestic visitors.

“Our marketing efforts focus on media channels selected to appeal to our target audience and included local and national radio, press, digital marketing, social media and influencer campaigns. We also secured RTÉ TV coverage on RTÉ News and RTÉ Nationwide. To appeal to both local and national domestic audiences, a nationwide radio campaign with Today FM began on June 24th for a two-week period, this was followed by a Limerick’s Live 95FM campaign in mid-July for two weeks and aired again effective August 17th for a week,” the spokesperson outlined.

“We placed a full-page advert in the Go West supplement that featured in the Clare Champion and Connacht Tribune in advance of the August Bank Holiday weekend. Bunratty Castle & Folk Park featured on RTE Nationwide on July 20th and also featured in the Irish Independent Weekender Magazine on 25th July as part of the Ireland Unlocks series. We hosted several activations for Heritage Week. We had and continue to have a very comprehensive organic content strategy on our social media pages”.

When restrictions were eased, Shannon Group contacted “a significant number of targeted influencers and invited them to experience Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. To date, we have had key influencers and their families through our doors with a combined following of over 220K followers. Our B2B efforts focused on offering discounted visits in conjunction with over 30 hotels and 20 self-catering operators in the region. In addition, we rolled out discounts to businesses via Ennis, Limerick and Shannon Chamber of Commerce and via tenants of the Shannon Free Zone. We also ran collaborations and competitions in conjunction with hotels in the region. We have had always on paid digital media campaigns since June 22nd across google ad network; Bing and Facebook/Instagram”.

The Clare Echo questioned Shannon Group on the amount of money spent on the marketing campaign but the query was not answered at the time of going to print.

Advertisement

Related News

Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
raw killaloe 1
Popular Killaloe cafe and pizzeria RAW to close its doors
Latest News
8ADEA71C-AA8E-43C5-AAB6-684A5D8EF880
'Battle of the Bands' returns to Lucas' Bar
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
raw killaloe 1
Popular Killaloe cafe and pizzeria RAW to close its doors
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
Premium
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered
clonlara v crusheen 23-08-25 diarmuid mullins colm galvin 1
The Water Break: Eruptions of excitement already with Clare SHC quarter-final pairings

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.