*The illegal encampment at Sixmilebridge. Photograph: Joe Buckley

An illegal encampment that has been in situ in Sixmilebridge for over seven months is causing “huge frustration” in the locality, elected representatives have stated.

Since January of this year, an illegal encampment has been based in the car park of Sixmilebridge railway station, the residents had moved on from the grounds of St Senan’s RFC in Shannon prior to this.

Speaking on Monday, Cllr Alan O’Callaghan (FF) described the encampment as “an ongoing problem”. He said it was spreading fear within the village. “People are in fear for their children, in fear for their safety and in fear for their property,” he stated.

Less people are parking outside the railway station and utilising the facility as a result, he claimed. The Kilmurry publican stated that a screen used to purchase tickets at the railway station had been damaged in recent months.

O’Callaghan added, “There is a lot of speculation as to what is happening with the encampment, another caravan has pulled in there, people have had enough of it, there is huge frustration, people can break the law and then nothing happens. I want to see it put to bed. It is very unfair, a lot of old people living within the area, they are in living in fear and I wouldn’t blame them. I am very disappointed that it is still allowed, the longer it is left the more the rot is setting in”.

Cathaoirleach of Clare County Council, Cllr PJ Ryan (IND) told Monday’s sitting of the Clare Joint Policing Committee (JPC) that Chief Superintendent of the Clare Garda Division, Seán Colleran was well are of the issues. “It is not as simple as pushing them out onto the road, it has to be done legally. I am hopeful we will have a resolution this month,” he said.

Chair of the JPC, Cllr John Crowe (FG) was also optimistic of a resolution in the near future. Clare TD, Cathal Crowe (FF) previously accused residents of the encampment of “taking the mick”.

Although he did not comment on the matter this week, Chief Supt Colleran previously confirmed five months ago that a summons had been issued in relation to the encampment, “we have engaged with Iarnród Éireann, our hands are tied as to what we can do”.

Related News

m18 protest 12-04-26 4
Justice Minister defends actions during fuel protest & 'doesn't care' if it weakens chances of becoming Fianna Fáil leader
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Latest News
m18 protest 12-04-26 4
Justice Minister defends actions during fuel protest & 'doesn't care' if it weakens chances of becoming Fianna Fáil leader
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 ronan pat kilroy 1
Clare's immense appetite makes U20 success taste much sweeter for Kilroy
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 mark sheedy 3
'Trust your instincts' - Sheedy shows nerves of steel with superb shootout saves
Premium
Clare crash out of Tailteann Cup with limp display against Longford
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.