A Clare TD has questioned the amount of time it took for visitor restrictions to be introduced at nursing homes across the country.

Minister for Health, Simon Harris (FG) stated on Thursday that 245 people had died in nursing homes across Ireland because of COVID-19.

Speaking in Dáil Éireann yesterday, Michael McNamara (IND) criticised the pace at which the Department of Health and the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) moved at in closing off nursing homes to visitors.

“Everybody in Ireland has made huge sacrifices to deal with COVID-19, most of all the young and the young have made those sacrifices primarily not to protect themselves but to protect the elderly because we all knew coming into this that the elderly were the most vulnerable”.

McNamara added, “In light of that, I would ask that Minister if that sacrifice was in any way undermined by the advice of the Chief Medical Officer on the 10th of March that existing restrictions in nursing homes were not necessary and whether it was undermined by the Minister for Health’s own delay in over two weeks in meeting with nursing homes Ireland when they sought engagement on access to personal protective equipment and testing for their staff”.

Responding to the Clare TD, Minister Harris stressed that young people were not immune from the virus but noted that it “can be particularly severe for older people”. He referred to the death of a 23 year old on Wednesday as an example of how many age demographics were hit by the virus.

Harris expressed his full support for the Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan and the NPHET. “The rationale was that any decisions made in relation to the restrictions and clinical matters should be made by clinicians and that we should have a co-ordinated national response in that regard. The Chief Medical Officer never said that restrictions could not be put in place at hospitals and nursing homes as appropriate but it was also balancing that view with the idea that for many older people, they may have to go many weeks without seeing anybody else, he was trying to get that balance right between compassion, ensuring people could see their friends and families and also protecting and safeguarding people”.

He stated that the matter was kept under continuous review by the NPHET who later announced the visitor restrictions, that is the body I follow in terms of public health advice”.

A meeting did take place between the Minister and Nursing Homes Ireland last month, “I would hate the idea to think that it was the first engagement”. The Wicklow TD said engagement took place at a local level between “many HSE personnel and nursing homes in January” with the CEO of the HSE discussing COVID-19 with NHI in February. “The people who regulate nursing homes that I engage with is HIQA so I’ve a lot of time for Nursing Homes Ireland they do a very good job and had a lot of work going on this year,” he concluded.

Related News

shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Latest News
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
los paddys continental ballynacally
Christmas market is Ballynacally bound
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Premium
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'
Lisdoonvarna's healing waters underline need to improve Sulphur Bridge
Éire Óg not as bad as scoreline suggests - Daniels
Shane finding it 'surreal' to be preparing for Munster final with Éire Óg

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.