A 30-year-old Limerick man has appeared in court charged with 24 burglaries at premises across Clare, Limerick, and Galway last year.

In one of the charges against Eddie Carey, he is accused of burglary at Wolfe Tones GAA Club in Shannon—the club of Clare All-Ireland winning senior hurling manager and double All-Ireland winner as a player, Brian Lohan.

At Ennis District Court, Judge Alec Gabbett said that there has been a “big Garda investigation” in the case.

On one day alone, February 2nd, 2024, Mr. Carey, of De Vere Court, John Carew Park, Limerick, is facing burglary charges concerning seven separate premises: Carry Out, Drumgeely, Shannon; Subway restaurant, Shannon; High Maintenance, Limerick Rd, Ennis; Remix, Limerick Rd, Ennis; Tech Station, Killaloe; Corbally Centre, Corbally Rd, Limerick; and Inver, Ennis Rd, Limerick.

Mr. Carey is facing a burglary charge at Wolfe Tones GAA Club, where he is accused of trespassing at the Shannon clubhouse on July 9th and committing theft contrary to Section 12 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001.

On the same date, Mr. Carey is accused of committing burglaries at Hair Symphony, Clarinbridge, Galway; Day Break, Crusheen; and Gala Chinese, Castle Street, Oranmore, Co. Galway.

On another date, July 5th, Mr. Carey is accused of carrying out burglaries at five premises: The Electronic Store, Market Square, Scarriff; Rogers Bar, Main Street, Scariff; Newcastle West Mobile Zone, Newcastle West; Gadget Fix, Main Street, Adare; and Poinaire, Main Street, Adare.

In total, Mr. Carey is facing 46 separate charges, which include 24 burglary charges, 17 handling charges, four charges concerning the unauthorized taking of cars, and one charge where he is accused of possessing two vehicle unlocking and starter devices.

The charge states that the two unlocking devices were found in Mr. Carey’s possession at his address on September 17th, and the devices were made or adapted for use in the unauthorized taking of vehicles.

Mr. Carey appeared via video-link in court from Limerick prison today.

He first appeared in court in Ennis at a special sitting last Sunday, where he was refused bail following Garda objections. Solicitor Stiofan Fitzpatrick, for Mr. Carey, told the court today that legal papers have been sent to Dublin for a bail application to be made in the High Court.

Det Garda Roddy Burke informed the court that the file in the case “is in progress.”

Judge Alec Gabbett said that he was conscious that Mr. Carey would have a lengthy remand in custody pending the case going to trial. Judge Gabbett further remanded Mr. Carey in custody to February 5th to Ennis District Court.

 

Advertisement

Related News

Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Latest News
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
Premium
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.