Latoon Creek Bridge has reopened to the public.

Works have been ongoing on the bridge situated between Clarecastle and Newmarket-on-Fergus since November 2017. Its closure was forced due to the requirement of significant repairs which first came to light following a structural investigation. Earlier this week the Council announced that the bridge would reopen on Monday (May 28th) but the job has been completed three days early.

The three-span bridge originally carried the old N18 National Primary Road between Limerick and Galway until the M18 was opened in 2007. A weight restriction had previously been in force at the location due to ongoing worries relating to its structure. It was first imposed on 12th November 2015. The local authority were forced to remind road users of this already on two occasions in 2016, in January and at the beginning of May.

Clare County Council say “Some works will remain to be completed and L&M Keating has indicated that they may carry out these works within a temporary traffic management plan at the bridge over the coming weeks. The previous bridge was not able to carry full bridge loading (18 Tonne limit was in place) but now we will have a state of the art bridge structure capable of carrying maximum allowable vehicle weights”.

The local authority acknowledged “the patience of local people and business owners and also wishes to acknowledge the funding provided by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, which made this project possible”.

 

Related News

shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Latest News
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.