FORMAL complaints made to Clare County Council regarding the opening of Ennis’ newest store has prompted an investigation by the planning authority.

Homesavers are officially opening their Ennis store at Ballymaley Business Park today (Thursday) in what will be their first outlet in the county which is to also create 55 jobs.

Retailers in the town of Ennis have claimed the opening is going ahead despite planning regulations being breached by the company such as the redevelopment of the exterior car park.

The discount retailer was previously hit with enforcement notices for potentially operating developments without permission in Tallaght and Limerick. However a representative for the company told The Clare Echo that they had not been ordered to close any of their stores in the country.

CEO of Ennis Chamber, Margaret O’Brien confirmed to The Clare Echo that some of its members have written a letter of objection to Clare County Council to query if planning guidelines were contravened. The concerns are stemming from businesses in the grocery and convenience sector, she stated.

One Ennis retailer told The Clare Echo they first made the local authority aware of a potential breach to planning rules six weeks ago and criticised the “inaction” of the Council in failing to deal with the matter. “If it was that easy, I would have done it,” one business owner said of flouted planning rules.

“The thing seems to be don’t ask for permission, ask for forgiveness instead,” one local trader remarked. A business owner in the county town warned that the development “could open the flood gates” by setting a precedent.

Speaking to The Clare Echo on Wednesday, Homesavers management were unable to say if all planning regulations were met prior to the anticipated opening of the store. The Ballymaley store will be open seven days a week.

A spokesperson for Clare County Council told The Clare Echo, “The Planning Authority has received a formal complaint regarding the alleged unauthorised use of a permitted retail warehouse unit in Ballymaley Business Park. As this matter is under investigation by the Planning Authority no further comment can be made on the matter at this time,” the spokesperson added.

Clare TD Joe Carey (FG) had been announced to officially open the store earlier this week. He confirmed to The Clare Echo on Wednesday that he was no longer opening the facility.

Following on from queries by this newspaper, Clare County Council contacted individuals that flagged concerns about the development on Wednesday afternoon to alert them that a warning notice had been issued to the landlord of the unit, Feenahyona Limited relating to an “unauthorised development” at Ballymaley Business Park.

No details were submitted to the planning authority regarding a change of use for units D and E at Ballymaley Business Park. The letter from the Economic Directorate of the local authority stated that Section 152 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 had been breached.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.