Homeless individuals that were subject to Garda surveillance “have moved on” from where they were residing in Ennis.

Speaking at Monday’s meeting of the Joint Policing Committee, Sergeant Kieran Ruane confirmed there hadn’t been an increase in anti-social behaviour in the county town during the month of December. He did note that coverage in local media on the homeless had a large public reaction regarding the actions of some men.

“A proactive approach has been taken through Sergeant McDonagh and there has been a significant reduction in anti-social behaviour. It is only when an offence is reported that Gardaí can do anything,” he stressed.

Sergeant Ruane told the meeting that some homeless men “have moved on from that location since. Gardaí have monitored this group of individuals since December”. Last month, The Clare Echo told the stories of two Polish men, Peter and Tomasz sleeping rough in Ennis. Both men continue to sleep at the same location in the county town.

Mixed results were recorded with regards to theft offences in Co Clare last year. Thefts were reported at 49 more shops in the county than in 2017 with a total of 363 instances while a 19 percent decrease in theft of individuals was recorded.

Robberies of premises were up 20 percent on 2017 figures while the robbery of personnel reduced by one with nine reported cases last year.

Related News

blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Latest News
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.