*Cllr Ian Lynch with his wife Irene and son Reuben at the LE19 count. Photograph: Martin Connolly

Getting to spend time with his children during their formative years has prompted Cllr Ian Lynch (IND) not to contest the General Election.

A member of Clare County Council since 2014, Ian had been weighing up entering the race following the withdrawal of Dr. Michael Harty (IND) stressing the need for “a strong voice to represent West Clare”

On Tuesday night, Lynch confirmed he would not be putting his name forward. “There is no doubt that for the sustainability development of West Clare, our towns and communities we now more than ever need a strong voice to represent us.

“However, there also comes a time to reflect on what right is for me and my family. To get elected would be no simple achievement but if successful I would have to sacrifice some of the most previous moments in my life and my children’s lives, there are some things in life you just don’t get a second chance at but elections will come around again and present another opportunity”

2016 saw the Kilrush man contest the General Election where he polled 1,494 first preference votes. He commended candidates for going forward but issued a word of warning to the elected four.

“I also want to make it very clear to those that are successful, I may be out of this race but I still hold my seat in public office and I will make sure you don’t forget those who are most vulnerable and need assistance from our state and I certainly won’t let you continue the abandonment of West Clare in to the future”.

Related News

Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
Latest News
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
e scooter 1
'Chaotic' use of e-scooters in Kilrush
banner gaa social 01-02-26 eoin fitzpatrick ronan kilroy caimin henchy 1
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Premium
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener
Kilmihil man pleads guilty to careless driving causing serious bodily harm to boy

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.