*Michael Leahy. Photograph: John Mangan

A failed Clare General Election candidate was among the speakers of a large-scale anti-mask rally which took place in Dublin over the weekend.

Michael Leahy who is Vice President of the Irish Freedom Party spoke for a quarter of an hour at Saturday’s protest. Other attendees at the organised demonstration included Jim Corr and Professor Dolores Cahill.

National media have reported that hundreds attended the rally at Custom House Quay, organisers claim the figure was in the thousands. It was organised by the Health Freedom Ireland (HFI), which says it is a non-political organisation, with support from Yellow Vest Ireland.

Gardaí are now investigating the anti-face mask rally with regard to breach of COVID-19 regulations prohibiting the organising of events. A file is to be submitted to the Director for Public Prosecutions on the matter.

Earlier this year, Leahy ran for the IFP in the General Election and was eliminated on the third count, he polled 704 first preference votes.

Speaking at the rally, the Corofin resident declared, “There is no doubt that today, Irish liberty and Irish freedom is under threat as never before since our Independence”. He criticised the country’s membership of the European Union and labelled Black Lives Matter “a viciously racist organisation”.

Leahy claimed that the public health guidelines “attack” rights on the freedom of movement, to earn a living and to bodily integrity. “There is every evidence that the egregious and unnecessary actions taken in the lockdown and ongoing in the health sector that will be the real killer not the pandemic. It might be our view that the lockdown was justified for a brief period of time when we didn’t understand the virus but we know now the level of mortality was very low,” the Ennis architect and planner stated.

Previously the President of Ennis Chamber of Commerce, Michael hit out at the Government, the media and the Church during his address. “I detect as I look around me the rumblings of a sleeping giant, let us hope that sleeping giant wakes with an almighty roar for freedom”.

Mr Leahy has failed to return multiple calls and emails from The Clare Echo since Saturday to explain his attendance at the event. The Clare Echo has learned that he has been on annual leave from work since attending the protest.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.