A burnt out caravan has been removed from the Rocky Rd in Ennis.

On March 8th, emergency services attended the scene of a fire in close proximity to the Rocky Rd roundabout. The removal of the burnt out caravan took place one month later, with elected representatives of the Ennis Municipal District advocating for it’s removal at their April meeting.

Fine Gael’s Mary Howard put forward a notice of motion seeking the dispatch of the mobile home and subsequent cleaning of the site as well as the repairing of traffic lights in the vicinity. “The mobile home left parked there was set alight and an investigation is going on. There is a huge amount of rubbish on site, there are loads of children toys, wires, broken trailers, the whole area is an eyesore. It is going to take time and money to clean the site”. She flagged, “I thought it looked appalling for people about to enter The Wild Atlantic Way”.

In an official reply, executive engineer Eamon O’Dea confirmed the mobile home was to be taken from the site with the area to be cleaned consequently. Following an application to the TII, funding has been approved for the replacement of the traffic lights and control unit. “The materials are ordered, delivery and installation is expected before the end of April”.

Clarecastle councillor, Paul Murphy felt “The mobile home has been an eyesore there for the past few weeks”. Fianna Fáil’s Pat Daly had a similar viewpoint, “It is terrible to see” and reiterated his appeal for the Council to purchase the Rocky Rd.

“If I might I’ll add to what Cllr Daly has said. We still have the issue of illegal encampment down at the Kilrush Rd but right now Rocky Rd is vacant and it is our chance to exert our control here,” Mayor of Ennis Clare Colleran Molloy declared.

Executive officer, Leonore O’Neill outlined that the removal of the mobile home had been “delayed due to inclement weather”. Regarding the purchase of the Rocky Rd, she said, “We had advised previously that the purchase of the site didn’t fit value for money. We are committed to including it in the 2040 plan”.

Related News

tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
Latest News
dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
lorna mcnamara 1-2
Player of the month award for Lorna Mc
atlantic aviation group
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
adrian trueick 1-2
Co-founder of Knight Frank Ireland appointed to board of Shannon Airport Group
clare v cork 20-04-25 cusack park tickets 1
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'
Premium
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.