*Photograph: John Mangan

Additional cases in Ireland have exceeded 100 for the first time in six days with an extra four in Clare as a further 11 people have died from COVID-19.

Officials from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre have confirmed 11 more people have died from the Coronavirus.

New daily cases is greater than 100 for the first time this week. 115 additional cases are known by health officials. Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan stated that it was too early to link the increase to the easing of restrictions.

Cases within meat processing plants has increased, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn confirmed. 16 facilities have reported an outbreak. There are now 865 confirmed cases from meat plants. 17 workers have been hospitalised with 5 admitted to ICU. Dr Glynn said that almost 2,500 workers had been tested from 7 facilities.

For the first time in four days, the total figure of cases in Clare has increased. As of Wednesday (May 20th), there are 319 confirmed cases, an increase of four in the space of 24 hours.

On Friday morning, a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) was held. Among the items discussed were the revisiting of a testing strategy, reports on the outbreaks in meat processing plants and preparation towards phase two in the relaxing of restrictions.

Caution was issued that increased contact among the public would accelerate the spread of “the transmissive virus” by Dr Holohan. He acknowledged that “the vast majority are still keeping faith with public health advice” and that 100% compliance could not be expected. He was hopeful the weekend weather forecast would aid their efforts to prevent a second wave.

Engagement between NPHET, the Department of Education plus the Department of Children and Youth Affairs is ongoing with regard to measures that could ease the burden of restrictions on children. “We are very sensitive to this and the impact restrictions have had on children,” Holohan stated. Views were expressed to the Government last week that more measures need to be identified, he recalled.

Speaking at Friday’s press briefing, Dr Holohan commented that immunity would not help in Ireland should there be a second wave. “A lot has been spoken about internationally about concepts like herd immunity, they were base on hope that it would confer immunity through exposure”. He added, “If we having got to where we have got to and suppressed the infection at the cost of very significant economic and societal measures, if as we ease through those restrictions we saw a significant rise in infection, immunity wouldn’t help”.

Dr Siobhán Ni Bhriain, Consultant Psychiatrist and Integrated Care Lead HSE stated that on the issue of testing in nursing homes that when it was driven and encouraged by public health professionals.

No inmates of Irish prisons have been diagnosed with COVID-19, Dr Glynn confirmed. Any case associated with the Irish Prison Service is that of employees.

Trials for a vaccine “may be open at some stage,” Dr Holohan commented. He said that preparations need to be put in place for the development of vaccine and that they would continue to contribute to “the international effort and thinking about preparation”.

Holohan was unable to provide “specifics” when asked if there was a budget for the development of a vaccine. Dr Glynn highlighted that there would be “a consolidated approach” from European member states, conversations “have only been initiated in the last couple of weeks, we are engaging on a weekly basis”.

Related News

judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 diarmuid ryan craig morgan 1
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
ballyea warrior declan mcdonagh noel gavin 1
Ballyea Warrior wins in Shelbourne
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
Premium
Gough brings guile to Newmarket Celtic for unbeaten league success
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.