Clare’s pyrite problem is to be highlighted to the Minister for Housing when he undertakes a visit to the county this Friday.

Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien (FF) will make his first official visit to Clare since becoming Minister last June.

He will officially open the €1.23m Clare County Fire and Rescue Service Maintenance Workshop in Ennis which was completed in May.

After this, Minister O’Brien will visit the Ashline social housing development in Ennis. The 40 house development is funded by the Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage with an approved budget of €10,534,481.

Chief Executive of Clare County Council, Pat Dowling will hold a meeting with Minister O’Brien on Friday morning while in the afternoon he will meet with representatives of the Clare Pyrite Action Group.

His trip will conclude in Broadford where the local action group will highlight their quest to bring in improved sewerage infrastructure to the East Clare village.

Mary Hanley’s home in Drumline, Newmarket-on-Fergus which is one of the worst affected homes in the county from pyrite will be visited by the Dublin Fingal TD. All 72 members of the Clare Pyrite Action Group have been requested to attend this engagement.

An interest in Clare matters has been taken by Minister O’Brien throughout his term in office, Cathal Crowe TD (FF) stated, “Since Darragh O’Brien took up office he has been hugely engaging, often taking calls on weekends to deal with Clare issues. I am glad he will meet with pyrite members and he will see first-hand how pyrite has ravaged the home of Mary Hanley”.

Founder of the Clare Pyrite Action Group, Dr Martina Cleary said more than time will have to be given to homeowners affected by pyrite. “He has made the time to meet with affected homeowners but we need more than that, we need to be included in the redress scheme”.

Dr Cleary flagged that each winter, the problems are intensifying with pyrite infected homes in the county.

Department officials are aware of the issues pyrite has posed to people in Clare with a report completed by Clare County Council last month, this also revealed that two local authority built estates were infected by pyrite.

“There is no reason to exclude Clare from the redress scheme and leave the likes of myself and Mary Hanley with our houses to crumble,” the Crusheen woman stated.

Approximately 120 homes are known to be infected with pyrite in Clare but the figure is believed to be much higher, she said. “The Minister needs to know it is not just a couple of people in Clare, it is the same impact as in Mayo and Donegal”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.