*Photograph: Joe Buckley

Officials in the Clare District Soccer League (CDSL) have disputed a report which stated that a decision had been made to cancel the season.

No Annual General Meeting (AGM) has been held by the CDSL with the AGM postponed three times to date. Jason Ryan of Kilrush Rangers is the sole nominee to replace Inch Crusaders’ Oliver Fitzpatrick as Chairman of the CDSL. March 1st has been set as the new date for the AGM.

On Thursday, The Clare Champion published a report which led with a headline stating that the CDSL had decided to cancel the 2020/21 season.

Interim secretary Denis Collins contacted all clubs following publication of the newspaper. He clarified that a decision to cancel the season had not been made. “While much of the article written in the Clare Champion is appropriate, the article heading is not. As this is not what Jason said to him. He did say we might have difficulty in running a full league but no decision has been made”.

Collins continued, “People within the league are realistic in the knowledge that time may not be on our side and many may not be surprised or concerned with this article heading but a final decision will be made once the new committee have the facts and have consulted with the clubs”.

Further guidance is needed from both the Irish Government and the FAI before a decision will be announced, Ryan told The Clare Echo.

CDSL officials have indicated to The Clare Echo that an altered league may be played while stressing that no decision had been agreed on whether a full league could proceed.

Comments and correspondence from the CDSL have been called “contradictory” by The Clare Champion’s sports reporter Derrick Lynch who said that Ryan stated the league would not proceed this season.

Advertisement

Related News

ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Latest News
st josephs miltown vs doonbeg 30-08-25 conor cleary darragh burns 1
Miltown down Doonbeg and march onto quarter-finals
João Tudella 1
Lahinch director's climate film to screen at Irish festivals
ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
Lunch Time Lifestyle with the Clare Echo Contributers (1)
September blooms bringing fresh colour and autumn pots to brighten your garden
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
Premium
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.