BAREFIELD out-half Tony Butler has been registered as one of the twenty two additional Munster Champions Cup squad members.

Munster’s Champions Cup opener against Wasps this Sunday was put into doubt after their trip to South Africa which resulted in many of its squad being struck down with COVID-19 and the remainder in quarantine.

Following the emergency of the new Omicron variant, Munster’s scheduled United Rugby Championship ties were cancelled. Scarlets, Cardiff and Zebre were also caught up in the Covid disruption in South Africa. Scarlets forfeited their opening Champions Cup fixture against Bristol Bears.

An initial group of 34 Munster players and staff travelled back to Ireland last week, while 14 members of the touring party remain in isolation in Cape Town.

Included in the list of 22 additional players put forward to the EPCR for registration in the Champions Cup is Clare’s very own Tony Butler. Indeed, all of the new players registered are under the age of 21.

Just last month, the St Flannan’s College past pupil and ex Ennis RFC player was announced as one of three new signings for the Munster Rugby Academy.

Related News

shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Latest News
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
los paddys continental ballynacally
Christmas market is Ballynacally bound
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Premium
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'
Lisdoonvarna's healing waters underline need to improve Sulphur Bridge
Éire Óg not as bad as scoreline suggests - Daniels
Shane finding it 'surreal' to be preparing for Munster final with Éire Óg

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.