*Photograph: John Mangan

An organised meeting for members of the Beef Plan has been cancelled.

Due to take place at Hotel Woodstock in Ennis this evening (Tuesday), the meeting was to discuss the group’s position following the conclusion of last week’s talks with Meat Industry Ireland (MII) and Minister for Agriculture, Michael Creed.

However The Clare Echo understands that Beef Plan are fearful actions of personnel in the audience could damage their image and subsequently hinder negotiations aimed at securing a better price for their product along with fears of legal action. Subsequently, the decision was made to cancel the gathering.

Members have expressed their annoyance with the outcome of the talks, “very little was achieved on the key issues for farmers,” one Clare farmer stated. The draft deal was rejected by the Beef Plan.

“We talk about going back into talks but it’s a waste of time going back in if we can’t talk about price. We mentioned price every time we were in there but unfortunately it couldn’t be talked about, or so we were told,” IFA President Joe Healy remarked of the prospects of negotiations resuming.

Protests which were suspended to allow talks to commence have resumed but the Beef Plan as one member outlined “is prohibited from taking part in the current farmer led protests and is not encouraging its members to participate”.

On Tuesday, the High Court granted an injunction against the protests restraining groups from blockading eleven factories. Kepak’s meat processing plant at Tiermaclane is not covered in the restraints.

Some of the protesters at Tiermaclane vowed to continue to maintain their presence until talks focused on price, retail and independent views begin.

Related News

siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 gabriel keating maura mckiernan 7
'Tremendous opportunity for Carrigaholt' says Keating with Irish College 'in the middle of planning process'
Latest News
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 ronan pat kilroy 1
Clare's immense appetite makes U20 success taste much sweeter for Kilroy
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 mark sheedy 3
'Trust your instincts' - Sheedy shows nerves of steel with superb shootout saves
clare vs longford 23-05-26 mark mcinerney ronan sweeney 1
Clare crash out of Tailteann Cup with limp display against Longford
Premium
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.