*The accused had been at large since June 2022. 

AN anti-vaccine activist, Antonio Mureddu is to face trial at the circuit court where he is charged with the assault of a Clare Garda after being ‘at large’ for the last 21 months concerning the case.

At Ennis District Court, Judge Alec Gabbett remanded Italian national, Mr Mureddu in custody after being told that a Book of Evidence in the case would be ready in two weeks.

Mr Mureddu (47) formerly of Headford Arms Hotel, Headford, Co Galway has been ‘at large’ since June 2022 when a bench warrant was issued from Ennis District Court for his arrest after he failed to show up in court concerning the alleged assault on Garda James Hanly three years ago.

Mr Mureddu did not show up in court in June 2022 after a medical report was provided to court on behalf of Mr Mureddu which said that Mr Mureddu has “Covid symptoms – flu like”.

Mr Mureddu was arrested by Gardaí in Co Donegal prior to the sitting and Mr Mureddu claimed in court that he was “kidnapped” by Gardaí on Tuesday.

Mr Mureddu told Judge Gabbett “I am not Mr Mureddu” but instead was a trustee with two deeds of trust and said that Mr Mureddu is a legal entity.

Judge Gabbett said, “That is not how it works unfortunately. You are a person”.

Mr Mureddu replied “I am not judge.” Judge Gabbett said, “So who are then? That doesn’t make any sense.”

Judge Gabbett said, “You are a person and you are here in front of me”.

Judge Gabbett asked Mr Mureddu to slow down “because I am finding it hard to understand”.

Mr Mureddu said that the charges against him were struck out and Judge Gabbett said that the charges remain live on the system.

Mr Mureddu said, “I come here with clean hands seeking remedy and relief”. Mr Mureddu said that he doesn’t accept the charges.

Asked if he was pleading guilty or not guilty, Mr Mureddu said, “I plead equity”.

In relation to the question of legal aid, Judge Gabbett asked the accused if he was working and Mr Mureddu replied, “I am not a working man”.

Mr Mureddu told Judge Gabbett that he was not seeking legal aid and didn’t require any lawyer to represent him.

Mr Mureddu first appeared before Letterkenny District Court on Tuesday last concerning the outstanding bench warrant for his arrest where Sgt Jim Collins said that the court has not known of Mr Mureddu’s whereabouts for the past two years.

In the case, Mr Mureddu is accused of assaulting Garda James Hanley with intent to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detention of himself for an alleged offence, dangerous driving at Knockanean outside Ennis on August 10th 2021 last contrary to Section 19 of the Criminal Justice Act, (Public Order Act) 1994.

Mr Mureddu is also accused of dangerous driving on the M18 motorway at Caheraphuca, Crusheen and on the same motorway at Ballymacahill, Ennis on August 10th 2021.

Judge Gabbett remanded Mr Mureddu in custody to appear via video link from prison in court on Wednesday.

Related News

judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Latest News
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
ballyea warrior declan mcdonagh noel gavin 1
Ballyea Warrior wins in Shelbourne
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
Premium
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.