*Photograph: Arthur Ellis

Aer Lingus are reviewing the viability of operating out of Shannon Airport and Cork Airport.

Future operations of Aer Lingus at Shannon and Cork Airport are under threat as the airline attempts to cut costs. Aer Lingus has 350 staff based in Cork and Shannon and is seeking 500 redundancies across the airline.

Having posted the biggest quarterly loss in its history, Aer Lingus management have informed staff that previously announced job cuts “will be implemented on a voluntary basis if possible, but on a compulsory basis if necessary”. Last month the airline announced that up to 500 jobs could go due to the impact of COVID-19 on the aviation sector, job losses were described as “deeply regrettable” but “inevitable” by IAG Chief Executive, Willie Walsh.

Chief Executive of Aer Lingus, Sean Doyle told staff via video communication on Friday that they have “no line of sight” on when the “meaningful resumption” of operations at Shannon and Cork will resume. “As such we are reviewing the scale of our flying programme from these airports and the ongoing viability of our regional bases there.

Doyle referenced COVID-19’s impact and criticised the Irish Government for implementing “the most restrictive travel policies in Europe” while failing to add supports for the sector. The airline said its passenger revenues fell to €315m from €936m last year.

Speaking in response to a query from Deputy Cathal Crowe (FF) at Tuesday’s sitting of the Dáil COVID-19 Committee, Mr Doyle referenced an inferior demand for Shannon services compared with routes out of Dublin Airport. “We don’t have an operation out of Shannon, we have cabin crew and ground handling based out of Shannon, there was no work there to employ them to, we were also laying people off at Dublin and reducing the hours significantly. This is an issue of where the work was and where we were able to deploy that work, at the minute we don’t have flights operating out of Shannon”.

Also on Tuesday, Doyle flagged that its operations out of Cork Airport were “very small” with only a Heathrow and Amsterdam service, “It was not viable to maintain a service at Shannon”. He stated that “significant reductions” had been made at Dublin Airport. Service demand influenced the decision to suspend operations from Shannon during COVID-19 as opposed to other Irish airports, “at the minute we haven’t seen any indication that we can reinstate those flights, I look forward to the day when we could because we understand the importance of the Heathrow connection to Shannon”.

Prior to COVID-19, he said that Aer Lingus were “very happy” with the performances of the Heathrow route from Shannon Airport. Should demand increased, Doyle was confident the service would return but that it has not been confirmed. “At the minute it is not at a point where it is viable, I can’t confirm it because it is not confirmed, we are evaluating the situation, as I said, the impact of the policies we have at the minute are suppressing demand and Shannon to Heathrow we’re not in a position to confirm when it will be restored”.

Related News

shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Latest News
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
los paddys continental ballynacally
Christmas market is Ballynacally bound
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Premium
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'
Lisdoonvarna's healing waters underline need to improve Sulphur Bridge
Éire Óg not as bad as scoreline suggests - Daniels
Shane finding it 'surreal' to be preparing for Munster final with Éire Óg

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.