*Darragh Leahy in action for Newmarket Celtic. Photograph: Joe Buckley

OFFICIALS IN CLARE soccer circles are keeping tight-lipped on the suspensions issued to Newmarket Celtic manager Paddy Purcell and striker Darragh Leahy.

The Clare Echo understands that three game bans were issued to Leahy and Purcell following Newmarket’s second round win over Avenue Utd B in the Ennis Carpets Clare Cup.

Their absence was felt as Celtic exited the Cup on Sunday in a 3-1 defeat to Avenue Utd A played at Roslevan.

These bans only apply to domestic games meaning Leahy and Purcell are entitled to be involved in Sunday’s Munster Junior Cup quarter-final tie away to Ferrybank FC of Waterford.

Secretary of the Clare District Soccer League (CDSL), Denis Collins said “no decisions” have been made by the Committee when contacted by The Clare Echo. The CDSL is currently without a PRO following the resignation of Jim Madden last week.

A spokesperson for Newmarket Celtic stated in response to The Clare Echo, “we do not wish to discuss this matter”.

Club officials are set to meet the CDSL on Monday in a bid to get the suspensions reduced.

Meanwhile, two periods of ten minutes will be played this weekend as Lifford FC and Bridge Celtic finish off their clash in the Ennis Carpets Clare Cup. The tie between the sides was abandoned two weeks ago when the sides were level 2-2. The Ennis club are also understood to be unhappy with suspensions handed out following this game.

Lifford FC are also appealing disciplinary measures issued and will also meet with the CDSL this coming Monday.

Advertisement

Related News

Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Latest News
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
8ADEA71C-AA8E-43C5-AAB6-684A5D8EF880
'Battle of the Bands' returns to Lucas' Bar
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
Premium
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.