Latest News County Clare

500 extra cases of COVID-19 in the Republic & 3 more in Clare

in Covid-19/Home/News by

500 additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed which is the biggest daily increase in the Republic of Ireland with three more diagnoses made in Co Clare.

A further 28 people have died from the virus in the country, there have been a total of 263 casualties in the Republic from COVID-19 and a combined 345 on the island of Ireland.

With the biggest daily increase of new cases, there are now 6,074 individuals who have been diagnosed with Coronavirus in the country. Latest figures for Co Clare reveal there are 68 confirmed cases.

Of the 263 deaths, 72% (187 cases) died in a hospital environment. 30 people died in intensive care units, accounting for 11% of cases.

On a positive note, the amount of individuals being passed on the virus by confirmed cases has dropped, Professor Phillip Nolan confirmed. He stated that the reproductive value has dropped from four from every one case to an average of one per case.

“This is not a simple question of flattening the curve and simply pushing the peak out to the future, it is about suppressing it completely”, Nolan said. If members of the public aim to continue flattening the curve he noted that there should be no reason to expect a surge.

Social distancing measures are to remain in place “for quite some time”, he confirmed. No indicator as to the length of time this will entail was provided by the health official when questioned at Thursday’s press briefing. “We can’t get this wrong so we have to be very careful before we make a decision”.

Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan reiterated that the primary reason for all measures in place is to “protect people”. “There is still significant unknowns about this virus,” he commented and revealed it is unclear what impact the possible lifting of some measures would have. “I would like to describe our strategy as a responsive one,” he added.

Further detail is expected following tomorrow’s meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team and the Government regarding an anticipated extension of current restrictions on movement of the public.

Fianna Fáil leader, Micheál Martin has claimed 51,000 people are waiting to be swapped to determine if they have COVID-19. Dr Holohan has said over 50,000 tests to date have been carried out.

Leaving Certificate students have been advised to “keep studying” by the Chief Medical Officer.

Páraic McMahon is Head of News & Sport with The Clare Echo. The Newmarket-on-Fergus native also writes for national papers including The Irish Examiner, The Irish Independent and The Irish Times along with doing work for RTÉ, Today FM, TheJournal.ie and The42.ie. A graduate of Mary Immaculate College, Páraic was previously employed by The Clare Herald and Clare FM. If you have a story, tip or some feedback for him then send an email to - paraic@clareecho.ie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

Latest from Covid-19

0 £0.00
Go to Top