*Agnes O’Malley getting water from Kilmaley Church. Photograph: John Mangan

A seven week ‘do not drink’ water notice has been lifted on the county’s largest group water scheme.

Raised levels of aluminium and turbidity were first detected on the Kilmaley Inagh Group Water scheme in February.

Over 2,000 households were affected by the water outage impacting on over 6,000 people in the county in areas such as Ballyea, Connolly, Inagh, Inch and Kilmaley.

Water was safe for hand washing in the midst of the COVID-19 for anyone on the scheme but was not fit for consumption. Residents did state that the outage made cocooning and social distancing much more difficult than it should have been.

Tests conducted in the past fortnight were satisfactory enough for those managing the scheme to lift the notice on Wednesday. Supply has been restored with immediate effect.

Cork based company, EPS run and manage the scheme and had been flushing it out for weeks. They had cautioned that there was no quick fix with over 250km of pipes in the network.

Speaking to The Clare Echo, Cllr Roisin Garvey (GP) was relieved “this seven week water saga has finally ended and we can now access clean safe drinking water from our own home again”. She singled out the contribution of those who called to loved ones with water and KIGWS for “keeping at it”.

Cllr Roisin Garvey after delivering water.

She added, “It was an honour for me to have an excuse to meet all the lovely older people I met through this but now I can call with Easter eggs instead of water”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.