*David Conroy was one of the Clare players to impress. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Kilkenny’s display in the second quarter played a key part in the Noresiders’ victory over Clare at Cusack Park on Sunday, according to Clare manager Brian Lohan.

“They took over a bit in the second quarter and outscored us eight to three, which gave them a bit of momentum, and with the quality they had on the field, it was always going to be a bit difficult for us,” Lohan said shortly after the final whistle.

That said, he added, “I thought we put in a good effort. This was a good opportunity for our lads, and we were a little bit unlucky at the end,” he added.

According to the Clare boss, who led the team to championship and league honours last year, “we have a big panel, we are carrying forty-five at the moment, we have 15/16 with injuries, and we have nine in the Fitzgibbon Cup. Our resources are stretched, we have a big panel, and that’s the reason for it.”

Asked about the absence of the pre-season tournaments this year, the double All-Ireland winner said, “I used to love those, they were great for lads playing in a relatively big game up against a good opponent. Look, it is what it is. We had an experimental line-up today which caught us a little bit at the end. We are happy with it but would have been happier if we got the result.”

Continuing, he said, “With the nature of inter-county hurling now, everybody wants to play. We have a panel of over 40, all of whom want to play. These matches are big games for all of those guys, and it’s crucial you give guys game time. Nobody wants to be going through a full year and not being given time to show what they can do.”

Asked about a likely return-to-playing date for those on the injured list at this time, he said, “The lads are working with the physios and trying to get back. We hope they will get stronger as the league progresses.”

Concluding, he said, “Overall, we are pleased. The lads showed a great attitude. The question coming into this game was whether we were going to have that attitude, and we did. We are happy with that, but we would have been happier if we got the result, but it wasn’t to be.”

Related News

micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
jim o'callaghan north clare 1
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Cathaoirleach's_ball david collins patrick casey cian dikker 1
Breast cancer and epilepsy charities to benefit from Cathaoirleach's Ball
Latest News
bridge utd vs tulla utd 15-03-26 adam mcnamara 1
Tulla look to take down McGregor's Black Forge in FAI Junior Cup
Senior Women's Team Players
Clare volleyball players represent Ireland as national volleyball teams prepare for international competition
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 rg damien mcmahon mark rodgers shelly mcnamara 1
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
clare v down camogie 14-03-26 andrea o'keeffe 5
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Premium
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services
Stritch shows star quality in starting debut
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status
Kelly making the most of the big days on and off the pitch

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.