*Magowna House. Photograph: John Mangan

TAOISEACH, Simon Harris has said asylum seekers at Magowna House getting two days notice that they were leaving Inch “isn’t at all optimal”.

As first reported by The Clare Echo, 26 male asylum seekers residing in Magowna House were last Tuesday issued with correspondence by the Department of Integration that they were to be moved to two accommodation sites in Dublin.

Since arriving in Co Clare, the men secured employment in Ennis, Inagh and Lahinch. The correspondence from the Department instructed the men to gather “all of their belongings” with “transport arranged to collect them”.

Speaking in Shannon Airport, Taoiseach Simon Harris (FG) admitted he was unaware that the men at Magowna House had received two days notice that they were leaving Co Clare. “I certainly hope the communication is always better than two days notice, I wasn’t aware of that, these are human beings who have fled a war and we have to approach that with compassion, we also have to be truthful in what we can and can’t do”.

He added, “two days isn’t at all optimal and I will follow that up”.

Magowna House was the subject of national attention last May after a group of thirty four male international protection applicants (IPAs) arrived on a bus to the former three star hotel which had been closed since 2019.

This led to locals mounting three blockades in Inch. Magowna House had a planned capacity for 69 residents under a contract between the Department and Cork-based CRM Properties Ltd, which leases the facility. The absence of a fire certificate last May had been questioned by Inch residents.

Due to the presence of the blockades, the story was the main talking point in the country and it was among the questions put to the then Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (FG) during the second day of a Council of the Europe Summit in Reykjavik.

Blockades had been mounted at Magowna House, Magowna Cross and Magowna Hill on a twenty-four hour basis across six days. The around the clock protest ended after proposals from the Junior Minister for Integration, Joe O’Brien (GP) were accepted by Inch residents. In what was an unprecedented step, the Junior Minister travelled to Ennis to meet with a delegation of the Inch locals that were protesting.

Among the agreements were to pause any further arrivals pending mediation between the people of Inch and men residing at Magowna House. This never took place while the signs reading ‘peaceful protest in place’ remained in place.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.