For a spell in the second half of Saturday’s All-Ireland quarter-final win over Wexford, Clare loosened their grip on proceedings, having paid the price for it in the Munster Final, Donal Tuohy admits they were determined not to make the same mistake.

Speaking in Páirc Uí Chaoimh after the seven point victory, Tuohy stated “We touched on the point that Cork got a run at us in the second half of the Munster Final for that fifteen minute period and once Wexford got that run on us again we demanded a reaction, we wanted leaders to step up and we wanted workrate to be constant all the time and I think we got that”.

He stressed that they were keen not to follow a second successive Munster Final loss with a quarter-final exit. “We’ve been here before, last year it was a similar spot we had lost the provincial final so we needed a reaction and I think we got that”.

Wexford struggled to maintain possession from their own puckouts in the opening half, Clare didn’t have any such problems with the Crusheen man’s delivery and he explains that they tailored their own puckouts based on the physicality of the Slaneysiders half-back line.

“They have quite a physical half-back line and midfield so we were aware of that and wanted to utilise our possession as much as possible both in general play and from our puckouts, I thought we did that the majority of the time”.

*Photograph: Donal Tuohy

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.