An Garda Síochána have been praised for their engagement with the public and handling of big events in West Clare in the past two months.

In June, the biggest security operation in West Clare’s history occurred as the forty fifth President of the US, Donald Trump visited Doonbeg while last week Clare’s hosting of The DDF Irish Open for the first time also drew a significant Garda presence.

Fianna Fáil’s Alan O’Callaghan was first to pay tribute to An Garda Síochána at Monday’s meeting of the Joint Policing Committee. “I want to compliment ye for the work in Doonbeg a few weeks ago and most recently over the weekend the work An Garda Síochána and all their staff did in Lahinch, it was spectacular to say the least, people were afraid of logistics but it was remarkable the way An Garda Síochána and Clare County Council co-ordinated everything. Everyone that came out of Lahinch was happy the way things went”.

“It was great to see such a presence, very easy for An Garda Síochána to be at centre of bad publicity but they really brought back what An Garda Síochána is about,” Cllr Ian Lynch stated. “They were engaging, fun and letting people enjoy themselves but diffused tension before it became a problem. It was so great to see how well An Garda Síochána handled the whole weekend. The visits to schools were a brilliant way to handle resources,” the Kilrush representative added.

Cllr Mary Howard believed their preparation would stand to them in good stead over the coming months. “I was away all week and went to Lahinch last night, the good humour was remarkable. Clare is certainly on the map and I believe Mike Pence is coming in September, ye have all the hard work done and that will be a walk in the park”.

Supt John Galvin acknowledged the positive feedback. “On behalf of An Garda Síochána I want to pay a huge thank you to people of West Clare who embraced security our colleages who were blown away by the reception and the welcome they got. Some of them had never been to West Clare, the amount of emails I got through from colleagues all over the country of the treatment they received from decent rural people”.

Galvin praised his own colleagues in the Kilrush District and other parts of Clare for making The Irish Open “a success. We policed it as a festival for the people, we worked with the people for the people, we couldn’t have done it without co-operation of the County Council for the amount of work, time and dedication put in. Planning for this event didn’t start last Monday, 15 months of work is gone into it, it was a privilege to be there”.

Related News

shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Latest News
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
los paddys continental ballynacally
Christmas market is Ballynacally bound
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
Premium
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'
Lisdoonvarna's healing waters underline need to improve Sulphur Bridge
Éire Óg not as bad as scoreline suggests - Daniels
Shane finding it 'surreal' to be preparing for Munster final with Éire Óg

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.