*The tents in Knockalisheen. Photograph: John Cooke

USE OF TENTED ACCOMMODATION FOR asylum seekers has ceased outside the village of Meelick and across the country, the Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth has confirmed.

Alternative accommodation has been found for more than 80 male asylum seekers who had been living in army tents during sub-zero weather conditions outside the Knockalisheen Direct Provision Centre.

None of the men slept in tents on Sunday night and by Monday morning all of them had been moved. Four different locations had been sourced with Clare County Council, Limerick City and County Council plus Mid-West Simon involved in this effort.

Clare County Council assisted with securing accommodation for the 30 of the 80 men left in the tents.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio One’s Today with Claire Byrne, Minister Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth Roderic O’Gorman (GP) confirmed, “We’ve been able to move everyone out of the tents”.

Similar facilities in Westmeath and Kerry have also closed, he said, “All our use of tented accommodation has ceased”.

Current arrangements are not permanent but no return to tented accommodation is envisaged, “For some of them they will be shorter-term solutions but we will not be using the tents in Knockalisheen again”.

Minister O’Gorman pointed out that less than one percent of the total accommodation used in emergency measures was through tents, “we use tents because of the tightness of accommodation at the time”.

Graham Clifford, founder of Sanctuary Runners Ireland, a solidarity through sport movement bringing together citizens, migrants, asylum seekers and refugees said the use of tents was deplorable. “Over the years we’ve seen it all in relation to Direct Provision. Cramped conditions, oppressive centres, inedible food, awful communication, deterioration of mental health, deaths. But keeping people in tents in freezing temperatures is lowest point. Shameful”.

Related News

will document 1
Ennis woman 'deliberately dishonest' in 'frankly shocking' case of dividing farmers will of 120 acre farm & €1.5m
aidan hehir sam o'neill franky giuduci 1
CBS Primary Ennis students win Intel Mini Scientist competition
Additional Aer Lingus Shannon to Paris flight announced-2
Aer Lingus to run extra weekly flight from Shannon to Paris
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
Latest News
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
Premium
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.