*Photograph: Ann O’Connell. 

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC are being advised to take extreme caution by the Clare coast over the coming days following ‘a near miss’ on Monday night.

On Monday evening, a “seriously dangerous” rip current at Spanish Point almost caused a fatality. Lifeguards had been active across the day warning swimmers of the potential danger, at the conclusion of their shift at 7pm one lifeguard travelled along the beach with a megaphone advising the public of the dangers of the current.

Rip currents are the leading surf hazard for all beachgoers. They are particularly dangerous for weak or non-swimmers. Rip current speeds are typically 1-2 Kmph. However, speeds as high as 8 Kmph have been measured. Thus, rip currents can sweep even the strongest swimmer out to sea. Rip currents can occur at any surf beach with breaking waves.

A rip current is a narrow, powerful current of water running perpendicular to the beach, out into the ocean. These currents may extend 200 to 2,500 feet (61 to 762 m) lengthwise, but they are typically less than 30 feet (9 m) wide. In the United States, rip currents are responsible for an approximate 150 deaths every year, in Florida, they kill more people annually than thunderstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes combined. They are the number-one concern for beach lifeguards with an estimated 80 percent of all beach rescues related to rip currents.

Approximately 100 people were swimming in Spanish Point when two ex lifeguards and local surfers, Oisin McGrath and Neil Acheson came to the rescue of one man who got caught in the rip current and was on his last few breaths, in a half hour period three people alone ran into difficulty.

Patrick Keane of Whitewater Surf Company in Spanish Point told The Clare Echo were it not for their efforts “you would be definitely looking at a loss of life. They hung around and so did we warning people, 20 to 30 more people could have been caught if we didn’t”.

He described the rip current as “particularly strong” up through the middle of the beach and commended the lifeguards for their efforts this week, “The lifeguards do a fantastic job, they are earning their keep, it is super dangerous yet still some people don’t want to listen, we’re here till dark every evening. It is a really dangerous situation and ironically it is at its worst when the lifeguards are off duty”.

“It has been packed here all day every day this week, a lot of people are not familiar with the sea or the current, to the untrained eye the current looks very attractive and very calm but that is far from the case,” Patrick explained.

By Monday of next week, it is expected that conditions will return to some semblance of normality in the sea. “This particular danger will have passed and it will be back to normal service. The tides will change, it can be of this nature, it has its time and this is it. That said, it will be dangerous still next week. Whatever it is, it appears that beaches are very dangerous this summer, Ballybunnion and Fanore have had their incidents, there was a rescue at Doonbeg this week,” he added.

Keane was hopeful visitors and locals would pay heed to the concerns raised. “More and more people are using the sea recreationally nowadays, there are different races and nationalities that are unfamiliar with the sea and the locality. These rescues are becoming more common, a lot of surfers are around and doing rescues with not a word about it”. He continued, “there is a broader educational piece about it. It should be a case that kids when they get to sixth class are exposed to such a level of water safety information that this isn’t happening. It is very rare that an Australian would walk into a rip current for example”.

Related News

john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
Latest News
tommy hegarty highview ben 1
Lucky thirteen for Highview Ben
éire óg v inagh kilnamona 07-09-25 darragh stack 1
Darragh bringing the right mindset to Éire Óg's attempts for Munster glory
o'callaghans mills vs upperchurch drombane 29-11-25 nicky o'toole 1
Fireballs see red as The Mills finish with 12 men in controversial Munster final defeat
alan neville 1
Neville wins in Dromoland
grow mental health 1
Kilmaley social dancing raises €2k for Grow Mental Health
Premium
'It's nearly time for pre-season & we're getting ready for a Munster final' - Nugent relishing Mills campaign
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.