Oral and practical tests for the Leaving and Junior Certificate have been cancelled.

Scheduled to run from Monday 23rd March to Friday 3rd April, Minister for Education and Skills, Joe McHugh (FG) made the announcement on Thursday morning that the oral and practical examinations would not proceed. All students who were due to take these tests will be awarded full marks for this portion of the exam.

It comes in the wake of countrywide school closures as a safety measure to help flatten the curve of Covid-19 spreading. Some 126,000 students are due to take the state examinations in 2020, 65,190 students sitting the Junior Cycle examinations and 61,053 students are due to sit the Leaving Certificate Established, Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme and Leaving Certificate Applied.

Minister McHugh said: “This is a difficult time for all. Students are facing a challenging period out of school and our decision on this element of the exams is being taken with their best interests at heart. It is the fairest response we could take in the circumstances. It guarantees that no student will score less than they would have if schools had been operating as normal.

“We have seen a new emphasis on remote learning amid the uncertainty about the impact of Covid-19 and the closure of all schools. I hope this decision will ease some of the pressure that students are feeling and allow them to focus more clearly on completing project work and preparing for written exams.”

Leaving Cert students will now receive full marks for their Oral tests in Irish, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Japanese plus the practical performance elements of the Music exams. The same applies for Junior Cert students who had been preparing for the practical in both Home Economics and Music. For affected subjects, students will not be able to switch between the grade they have currently chosen meaning they cannot jump from Ordinary Level to Higher Level Irish in an attempt to maximise their points.

McHugh also confirmed changes to deadlines for students to complete project work and coursework in a number of subjects. Students were originally scheduled to complete these elements of the state examinations on a number of dates from Friday 20 March to Friday 24 April 2020, depending on the subject. Students will now be given until Friday 15 May 2020 to complete this work.

Second phase of practical examinations remain as originally scheduled from Monday 27 April to Friday 8 May, as well as the final written examination in the Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP) scheduled for Wednesday 6 May, a range of oral and practical tests in the Leaving Certificate Applied (LCA) programme, along with the first examination in Leaving Certificate Computer Science on Wednesday 27 May, and the final written examinations commencing on 3 June.

He said the Department will continue to work with the State Examinations Commission to monitor the Covid-19 situation in terms of its potential impact on the other later scheduled components of the state examinations. “We will continue to respond at the right time and in the right way, with the impact on our students at the forefront of our minds”. Although he acknowledged the difficulties on young people attempting to prepare for the State Examinations, he stated that the written part of the assessment would proceed.

All schools have been asked to continue to plan lessons and, where possible, provide online resources for students or online lessons where schools are equipped to do so. Schools have also been asked to be conscious of students that may not have access to online facilities and to consider this actively in their responses. School buildings are available to staff if they wish to access the facilities in order to provide online delivery, or essential services once this is in line with Health Service Executive (HSE) advice.

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Latest News
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 eoghan gunning ryan hayes thomas o'connor jamie moylan harry doherty 1
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
kerry vs clare 25-04-26 emmet mcmahon manus doherty 1
Emmet named in Clare squad for first time of 2026 as injuries begin to heal for footballers
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 tony kelly 5
Rodgers & Taylor ruled out but Kelly included in Clare team with first starts for Galvin & Fitz
51mUs3LO2nL
Targeted solutions for prevention and healing of acne breakouts / problematic skin
Premium
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Gough brings guile to Newmarket Celtic for unbeaten league success
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.