Staying at home does not mean staying safe for domestic abuse sufferers, a Shannon elected representative has warned.

Data collected from 39 domestic services nationwide formed the basis for a recent report published by Safe Ireland. It revealed that nearly 3,500 women contacted a domestic violence service for the first time between March and August of 2020.

Safe Ireland detailed that at least 1,970 women and 411 children received support from a domestic violence service in that period. The report shows that 575 women and 98 children who had never as far as is known, contacted a domestic violence service before, contacted services every month in that time.

An average of 184 calls a day were answered by helplines. In 2018, domestic violence services responded to an average of 147 calls a day. The rate of increase in calls during COVID-19 stands at 25 percent.

191 women and 288 children on average were staying in domestic violence accommodation (refuge, safe homes and supported housing) each month, the report flagged. 1,351 requests for refuge could not be met as there was no space.

An appeal for Clare County Council to urge the Irish Government to resource and fund the HSE, An Garda Síochána, refuges plus support for counselling services and charities formed a joint motion from Cllr Mary Howard (FG), Cllr Donna McGettigan (SF), Cllr Susan Crawford (GP) and Cllr Alan O’Callaghan (FF).

In reference to the report, their proposal stressed that the prevalence and patters of domestic violence had been “exacerbated by a pandemic that has locked women and families down with their
abuser”. It continued, “The government consistently name checks domestic violence and sexual violence as a priority concern, but calling something a priority means that it also has to be resourced and funded as a priority”.

Speaking at the January meeting of Clare County Council, Cllr Howard described the findings of the report as “scary reading considering what has been on in the country behind closed doors for a long period of time”. She felt the statistics were “upsetting and heartbreaking”.

Cllr McGettigan felt the figures from the report were “stark”. The Shannon representative said, “These people need services. The message of stay safe stay home does not mean that to them, it might mean it to us but not to them”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.