Soccer clubs in Clare have been urged to exploit restructuring of GAA age-groups and the success of recent underage gaelic football teams within the county.

Speaking at Monday’s CDSL AGM at The Auburn Lodge Hotel, FAI County Development Officer, Denis Hynes praised all clubs for their efforts during the season.

Hynes singled out the achievements of Barry Cotter in the season gone by. “He’s the first Clare player to go pro” he said of the Ennis native who was given his debut for the Ipswich Town first team by Mick McCarthy in April.

He informed the delegates about the FAI ETB player development course which aims to give people the skills to progress to full time employment in the sports, leisure and recreation industry or to progress onto further education. It provides an alternative route into third level education.

Denis highlighted the importance of footballers maintaining an education while focusing on their sport. “We cannot dissuade them from education, this is a great option if someone is taking a year out or if the Leaving Cert doesn’t go according to plan”.

Clubs were then encouraged by the CDO to take advantage of the GAA restructuring of the minor grade which is now U17 having previously been U18, the next level up is U20. He feels it presents a brilliant opportunity for soccer clubs as the eighteen year olds are less likely to feature for the U20 side.

“Go and chase them” Hynes said of the current U17 players, “make a big deal about them, sign them for your A team don’t put them with the C or B team, do not lose them to a development squad which has ninety players on it”.

*Photograph: Martin Connolly

Related News

judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 diarmuid ryan craig morgan 1
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
ballyea warrior declan mcdonagh noel gavin 1
Ballyea Warrior wins in Shelbourne
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
Premium
Gough brings guile to Newmarket Celtic for unbeaten league success
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.