*Easter celebrations at Bunratty Castle & Folk Park last year. Photograph: Eamon Ward

Multi-million euro support is required from the Irish Government to allow for Shannon Heritage sites to stay open beyond August 31st.

Bunratty Castle & Folk Park and King John’s Castle opened their doors in June and are due to close at the end of August while Knappogue and Craggaunowen have remained shut since March.

A submission from Shannon Group has been put to the Government in an attempt to secure funding to allow the two castles to welcome visitors beyond August as leading health officials urge the Irish public not to travel abroad and instead go on staycations this year.

Speaking this week, Chief Executive of Clare County Council, Pat Dowling stated 80% of visitors to Bunratty Castle & Folk Park were from abroad. A spokesperson for Shannon Group outlined, “Unfortunately even with an anticipated surge in domestic visitors it will not compensate for the lack of international visitors”.

Bookings of domestic tourists between now and August are poor according to management. “Despite an extensive national marketing campaign by Shannon Heritage, it is continuing to lose money on these sites,” the spokesperson added.

An assessment of all available options with regards to the tourist attractions is continuing. The spokesperson commented, “Given the financial position of Shannon Heritage as a result of COVID-19, it is not financially possible for the attractions to remain open beyond August 31 without Government funding to cover these operational losses”.

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Latest News
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
shelbourne park
Clare greyhounds strike in Shelbourne Park
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 brian lohan 1
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 eoghan gunning ryan hayes thomas o'connor jamie moylan harry doherty 1
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
kerry vs clare 25-04-26 emmet mcmahon manus doherty 1
Emmet named in Clare squad for first time of 2026 as injuries begin to heal for footballers
Premium
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.