*Photograph: Martin Connolly

Clare TD, Violet-Anne Wynne (SF) has said Shannon Airport staff have been given a one week window to sign their redundancy offers.

Redundancy offers were issued to staff at Shannon Airport on Friday August 21st. In July, workers rejected plans by management to seek voluntary redundancies from its 230 staff and cut pay by 20 per cent until 2023.

In a statement to The Clare Echo, Deputy Wynne criticised a “lack of engagement” with staff and said workers were given a period of one week to sign on the dotted line if they wished to accept a redundancy. Trade unions have insisted that any severance package would have to be in line with the semi-state aviation package available in the DAA and that they would not agree to the pay cut which is due to come into effect on Monday.

She commented, “The severance package on offer within the SAA is nowhere near as generous as the one currently on offer in the DAA with the staff in Shannon feeling left behind in comparison to the package being offered to former colleagues in both the DAA and also of their colleagues who were offered a better deal just last year by the SAA”.

“All this is happening at the same time that the Minister Eamon Ryan and his officials are carrying out an internal review of the management/operational structures of the Shannon Group. I really feel this is not fair on the staff at the Airport, the time constraint alone does not allow the staff to fully weight up all their options on what will be a life changing decision. I am calling on Minister Ryan to instruct the SAA to extend the deadline beyond Friday to allow for meaningful engagement between his Department, the unions and the staff at the Airport,” the Kilrush Deputy added.

CEO of Shannon Group, Mary Considine disputed remarks from the Sinn Féin representative. “In early July we presented a range of available options to staff, among these career breaks, reduced working hours, short time working, temporary pay cuts and a voluntary severance scheme (VSS). The terms of the VSS were clearly communicated at that time. We communicated these measures to unions and since then have put an extensive programme in place to ensure that staff were fully briefed regarding the necessity for this intervention”.

Considine said that there had been ongoing engagement over the past seven weeks including written communication with staff and unions, full briefing of staff across two separate days in socially distanced town-hall meetings at the airport, telephone conversations and board meetings and calls.

She added, “Our HR team has also worked exhaustively with the very large number of staff that expressed interest in the scheme to set out the specific individual outcomes for them. During that period, we sought to meet with trade unions on the VSS, but the offers were declined, the latest of these was last week. The measures we have had to put in place are certainly not what we envisaged as we set out on what would otherwise have been a year of growth at Shannon”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.