*Photograph: Arthur Ellis

Aer Lingus cabin crew at Shannon Airport are to remain laid off until the middle of June at least while it is feared the airline will not fly out of the International Airport until 2022.

Members of the Aer Lingus cabin crew at Shannon Airport had been hoping for a return to work in early June but a roster published on Friday has revealed that they will remain laid off until June 20th at the earliest.

Fórsa trade union have said the extended layoff is another devastating blow for staff and the Mid-West region. The union represents around 5,000 workers in airlines, airports, air navigation bases, aviation regulatory bodies, and air traffic control and has called on Aer Lingus to provide a commitment to its Shannon base and to those who work there.

Ashley Connolly, a Fórsa official said the news from Shannon “reveals the continuing vulnerability of the industry and the economy of the Shannon region, which is why we need to hear a solid commitment form Aer Lingus at this critical time. The pandemic has struck a devastating blow to every part of the industry, and the future of the industry remains uncertain.

Meanwhile, concern is growing that Aer Lingus will not resume routes to Boston and New York from Shannon Airport until next year.

Clare TD, Cathal Crowe (FF) has urged Aer Lingus to clarify its plans for transatlantic travel to and from Shannon Airport for the next 12 months.

The Clare Herald has reported that a document outlining the airline’s timeline for the resumption of services does not expect Shannon routes to New York and Boston to recommence until middle of 2022.

Deputy Crowe stated, “Shannon, for many decades, has been the first stepping-stone for many North Americans entering Ireland and indeed Europe and it is essential that this connectivity is restored in the quickest possible timeframe”. He believed aeroplanes could be flying in the next six to eight weeks.

He added, “Whilst I fully understand the need for airlines to have a lead in period so that pilots and cabin crews can be ready and certified to return to the air, and also for marketing purposes, there is nonetheless an expectation that airlines here in Ireland and further afield will now start to commit to running services in the months ahead”.

“Ryanair recently announced a new route from Shannon to Corfu and they expect to be running from Shannon in the summer and autumn period, we need the same commitment from Aer Lingus. This period of uncertainty is near an end and whilst I look forward to a staycation in Ireland with my family, I’ve already booked a flight from Shannon in August in anticipation of a return to international travel. It’s important that we here in the Midwest commit to supporting Shannon but we also need equal commitment from our airlines that have for so long serviced the region,” the Meelick native commented.

On Thursday, Stobart Air which operate Aer Lingus’ regional routes confirmed the addition of two new routes from Ireland to Wales. A three time weekly service from Dublin to Cardiff will start on August 30th while a new route between Belfast City Airport and Cardiff, which will initially operate four times weekly on Monday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday takes flight on June 28th.

Related News

ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
jim o'callaghan north clare 1
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Latest News
offaly vs clare 09-05-26 brian mcnamara 3
Sink or swim for Clare's footballers in maiden Tailteann Cup campaign
bridge utd vs tulla utd 15-03-26 adam mcnamara 1
Tulla look to take down McGregor's Black Forge in FAI Junior Cup
Senior Women's Team Players
Clare volleyball players represent Ireland as national volleyball teams prepare for international competition
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 rg damien mcmahon mark rodgers shelly mcnamara 1
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Premium
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services
Stritch shows star quality in starting debut
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.