*Brian Lohan. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Clare senior hurling manager Brian Lohan has said the sending off of Liam Corry had a major impact on proceedings as the county side let an eight point lead slip to lose their second outing of the year.

Speaking shortly after Sunday’s one point loss to Wexford, Banner county boss Brian Lohan said “the sending off had a big impact on the game. We conceded two goals and we looked a bit open for the last ten minutes. Playing against a possession team like that, once they get possession, its very hard to get it off them and they banged in those two goals”

Apart from agreeing that Liam Corry’s red card, which came twenty one minutes into the second half, was a key moment in the game, the All Star full back did not offer a view as to whether or not it was the correct decision.

The Wolfe Tones clubman said he was “disappointed with how we finished the game. We were very positive for 63/64 minutes but certainly the last ten minutes was poor. It was a big disappointment to lose Tony (Kelly) early on and disappointing as well to have Liam sent off”.

Continuing Lohan said “obviously we would prefer to be winning games and the game is all about winning but it is about trying to strengthen up our panel as well and introducing fellas to this level of hurling, We introduced two 19 year olds last week and the same again this week. Last week was terrible”

Asked about the fitness of experienced players David McInerney, Pat O’Connor and Colm Galvin, the Clare manager said “they are working hard. David had a bit of set back last week and he did a bit of damage to his quad”.

Colm Galvin was added to the match day squad for this tie after both David Reidy and Shane O’Donnell were ruled out having picked up leg injuries It remains to be seen if either will be ready for Sunday’s game against Laois in Portlaoise.

Related News

tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
Latest News
dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
lorna mcnamara 1-2
Player of the month award for Lorna Mc
atlantic aviation group
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
adrian trueick 1-2
Co-founder of Knight Frank Ireland appointed to board of Shannon Airport Group
clare v cork 20-04-25 cusack park tickets 1
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'
Premium
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.