Two Clare schools have been impacted by COVID-19 cases in the space of one week.

Students in two classes at Stonehall NS have been out of school all this week after it emerged that one pupil had tested positive for the virus.

Confirmation was issued to parents and guardians via the Newmarket-on-Fergus based school on Sunday evening that a confirmed case had been diagnosed. As a precautionary measure, all pupils in both classes and their teacher have been kept out of the school since.

Students in other schools located in the parish of Newmarket-on-Fergus have also been kept out of their respective schools as they await results of tests from the HSE. Sports training involving children from the classes has also been curtailed.

On Wednesday last, Meelick NS in South Clare was forced to shut after staff members were identified as close contacts of a confirmed COVID-19 case.

Staff members at the school had been instructed by the HSE to restrict their movements and as a result an insufficient amount of personnel were on hand to teach the classes. No students were deemed to be at risk at Meelick.

Correspondence issued to parents by management of Meelick NS obtained by The Clare Echo read, “It is not possible for the school to remain open without any permanent member of staff so unfortunately the school will have to close immediately”. The school had been hopeful of reopening yesterday (Wednesday) ‘at the earliest’ but calls made by The Clare Echo were unanswered.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.