*Photograph: Natasha Barton / CDSL

SPORTING ENNISTYMON have said a late fixture change was the reason they decided not to fulfil their League relegation/promotion play-off tie with Kilrush Rangers scheduled to take place on Sunday morning.

In a statement shortly after 11am, the North Clare club confirmed they would not be travelling to play the game against Kilrush Rangers as a form of protest against the Clare District Soccer League (CDSL) rescheduling the game.

Potential relegation for Sporting arose after the CDSL deducted them points for fielding a player without completing an international transfer certificate (ITC). They had drawn with Avenue Utd but the Ennis club benefitted with two extra points following the CDSL ruling, this in turn ensured they needed only a draw to beat Newmarket Celtic in the league showdown on Wednesday.

Representatives of Sporting Ennistymon said on May 29th they were informed by the CDSL Fixtures Secretary, Brendan Browne that the playoff match would be held on June 12th but claimed of interference among the CDSL committee.

A spokesperson for the club outlined, “When the new fixture list came out Tuesday afternoon, the fixture was down for June 5th. After contacting the fixtures secretary, he revealed that he had the fixture set for the 12th of June but that someone on the committee told him to move the match back to Sunday the 5th. Members of the squad and management are understandably very disappointed in the decision to refix and subsequently reamend the fixture and are therefore not going to field a team in protest.

“Sporting’s management and players purchased Munster Hurling Final tickets and made travel arrangements and were looking forward to travelling to Thurles to cheer on the Banner. The fact that the fixture date had been reamended meant that players would be out of pocket. The fixture should not have gone ahead today as it is a massive day in the sporting calendar. If the fixtures secretary had set the match for June 12th, no committee member should have interfered and told the fixtures secretary to move the date,” the statement added.

Concluding, the club remarked, “Off-the-field issues have been the bane of our season as the club was deducted a total of 5 points following minor discrepancies after signing a Ukrainian refugee. We would like to commend our players and management for their professionalism throughout the season”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.