Ryanair have threatened to close their base at Shannon Airport for the winter months and into early spring.

Staff were alerted to the potential setback on Tuesday in a memo issued by Ryanair CEO, Eddie Wilson. He outlined that if quarantine restrictions were not lifted at Shannon or Cork Airport before the end of September, the airline would have “no alternative but to close” their bases for the winter season.

Should such a move occur, all pilots and cabin crew will be placed on unpaid leave, this would affect 130 staff directly employed by the airline at the two airports, 35 pilots and 95 cabin crew. Wilson stated that forward bookings at Shannon and Cork “suffered irreparable harm”.

Wilson criticised the approach of the Irish Government in trying to assist the recovery of the aviation sector and called the Green List ‘a failure’. He detailed that Ryanair were hopeful of reopening their bases at both Shannon and Cork in March but stipulated that this would only happen “if these failed travel restrictions to other EU states has been lifted in time for traffic to recover”.

Inbound Ryanair flights from London Stansted, Manchester and Liverpool will continue to land in Shannon but on a significantly reduced basis. This will remain “for as long as these defective quarantine restrictions remain in place”.

The airline accounted for 80% of all traffic through Cork Airport in August and, it is understood, an even higher proportion of total traffic through Shannon, believed to be in excess of 90%. Ryanair flies 13 destinations from Shannon and 23 from Cork. It is currently operating at 30% capacity presently compared with roughly 80% prior to COVID-19.

According to the airline, the Irish Government ignored the EU safe travel policy. Mr Wilson also took aim at the actions of Taoiseach Micheál Martin (FF) who he claimed observed no quarantine period of 14 days after flying to Brussels. An updated Green List could avert the closures, the CEO highlighted.

Last week, it emerged that Aer Lingus’ was contemplating moving its transatlantic routes from Shannon Airport to a UK counterpart.

In a statement to The Clare Echo, Deputy Violet-Anne Wynne (SF) believed the potential setback represented “another hammer blow” for Shannon Airport. She said the intentions of Ryanair were deeply concerning. “While this news was sudden it is not surprising. Ryanair have long outlined their distaste at the Government’s dealing of foreign travel rules, particularly around the Green list.

“This is yet another hammer blow for Shannon Airport and it now puts the future of Shannon under even more heat. The recent cuts in the Airport have been hard hitting but this news will bring even more worry as to the future of the airport. Government inaction around the aviation sector has been well noted. Their decision to cut the TWSS and the PUP payment in recent weeks has also added to this damage,” Wynne added.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.