*Photograph: Martin Connolly

Securing a replacement for Roche has been labelled “a lost cause” by Independent TD, Dr. Michael Harty.

Last month, The Clare Echo reported that the closure of the Clarecastle site had been delayed by a period between three to six months. In November 2015, Roche Ireland confirmed it was to exit the Co Clare plant after forty one years. A phase-out of production began in July 2016 when the search for a buyer of the site proved to be unsuccessful.

In a statement to The Clare Echo, Harty said “a lost cause” is “the only reasonable conclusion one can draw from the statement by Business Minister Heather Humphreys who told me in answer to a Dáil question despite all the efforts by the IDA since the announcement was made to close in 2015, no offer has been made for the site”.

He continued, “The company has already written to the local community detailing the wind down of its operations by mid 2020, put the two together and it can only mean its curtains for Roche in Clarecastle. I welcome the jobs that have been announced recently but we still have an unemployment rate of 7.2% in the mid-west which is above the national average. I also welcome the Minister’s plan to address new job creation in this region by the end of 2020. Even if successful, we are only playing catch up with the rest of the country”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.