*Photograph: John Mangan

Action in the U21 club hurling championship will not resume until Clare’s U20 hurlers have concluded their campaign.

Ordinarily held in early spring, the U21 championship was unable to conclude due to the outbreak of COVID-19 causing all games to be suspended. First round ties had taken place in the U21B while quarter-final victories were recorded by Clonlara and Sixmilebridge in the U21A.

Whitegate delegate, Ger Hogan queried if a decision on the resumption of the club championship had been made by Clare GAA officials at Thursday’s virtual meeting of the County Board.

Chairman Joe Cooney outlined, “The Clare U20 hurling management have asked us to leave it until their inter-county competition is finished. Hopefully they will have a long campaign”. He said that the matter would be reviewed when Sean Doyle’s side conclude their involvement in the U20 championship whenever that scenario occurs.

Clare’s U20 hurlers take on Tipperary in the Munster championship in Thurles on October 19th, should they prevail in this encounter Doyle’s side have a semi-final outing on October 26th.

Brian Coffey’s minors will be the first county team to get their campaign underway. They are in action on October 17th with Dermot Coughlan’s footballers lining out on October 24th.

In what will be a televised fixture, Brian Lohan will have his first championship outing as Clare senior hurling manager on October 25th against Limerick. A win here would set up a Munster semi-final with reigning All-Ireland champions Tipperary on November 1st at LIT Gaelic Grounds. Colm Collins’ senior footballers begin their provincial journey on November 1st where they meet Tipperary whose management team includes ex Banner netminder Joe Hayes.

It is unlikely that the U21 club football championship will commence, the September County Board meeting heard. Siobhán Finn of Kildysart question if plans were in place to start the competition but Cooney detailed that the County Board felt it would not be easy to begin a new competition given the rising number of COVID-19 cases. “If circumstances change, we will give it consideration,” the O’Callaghans Mills clubman commented.

Secretary of Bord na nÓg Peil, Anne Hayes informed the meeting that the U16 hurling championship should proceed. Concerns of a potential delay were voiced by Inagh/Kilnamona’s Paul Gannon and John McNamara of Sixmilebridge. The county Chairman stated that the matter was left to both underage bodies to sort, “There is a small bit of a backlog in the peil side, we are hopeful it will be cleared”.

Any potential worries were abated by Hayes, “The U16 hurling and football is going ahead. Our priority now is to finish off what we started”. The Lissycasey woman estimated that the U16 could start in the next two to three weeks. The importance of the competition in aiding player retention was stressed by delegates.

No update on the running of the U13 hurling championship was provided at the meeting following a request from Sixmilebridge’s McNamara.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.