A REPORT into the death of Shannon teenager, Aoife Johnston will be published no later than Monday.

HSE Chief Executive, Bernard Gloster told the Oireachtas Health Committee on Wednesday that he would be publishing the report no later than Monday.

Aoife’s family called for the publication of the report by the end of this week and have expressed their “profound disappointment” with the report. Aoife died after a 12-hour wait in the emergency department of University Hospital Limerick (UHL) in December 2022. She was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis and developed sepsis.

Retired judge, Frank Clarke carried out the report which looked at the area of accountability and oversight.

Solicitors for the Johnston family expressed disappointment with the report and said the judge’s powers were too restrictive. Damien Tansey, the family’s solicitor said a meeting with the family sought by the HSE Chief, Bernard Gloster, can not happen until the report by former Chief Justice Frank Clarke is published in full.

Mr Tansey said the restrictions imposed on Mr Justice Clarke by the HSE were most unsatisfactory and flew in the face of assurances given to the family by the HSE. The family had been assured the investigation would be unfettered, would be evidence driven and that Mr Justice Clarke could go wherever the evidence took him and that there would be accountability, he said.

Mr Tansey said the family were making no criticism of the former Chief Justice, but are very unhappy that his report was unable to make findings of fact, or attribute blame as they had put all their faith in the Clarke investigation.

Speaking before the Oireachtas, Mr Gloster stated, ”I will be publishing the report no later than this coming Monday. I will have more contact with solicitor for the family later today. It is important in the public interest that the report is published appropriately”.

He added, “I am very conscious about the commentary on the report and the best way to address that is when the totality of the report is there. I will be able to comment on the detail of it and what appears to be concern expressed about it”.

Gloster said, ”I would say that is misplaced concern. It is a comprehensive and very effective report. It is one that completely fulfilled all of its terms of reference”.

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly (FF) said that he would listen very carefully to the requests of Aoife’s parents and family. He said that she was failed and that what happened to her should not have happened.

He added that her family must be at the heart of “anything we do”. “If they are saying that not enough has been done, then in my view we must do more.”

Donnelly said that the first step was to publish the report. He added that he was happy to meet Aoife’s parents again, as was Bernard Gloster.

Related News

aidan hehir sam o'neill franky giuduci 1
CBS Primary Ennis students win Intel Mini Scientist competition
Additional Aer Lingus Shannon to Paris flight announced-2
Aer Lingus to run extra weekly flight from Shannon to Paris
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
Latest News
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
Premium
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.