*Photograph: Joe Buckley

OVER 200 people protested in Sixmilebridge on Thursday morning as pressure continues to mount on Bus Éireann and the Department of Education to scrap a pilot bus scheme and revert back to dedicated school bus transport.

Plans to bring in the 343 pilot bus scheme which will see students of Shannon secondary schools living in Newmarket-on-Fergus and Sixmilebridge travel on the public bus service as opposed to the dedicated school bus transport system have caused plenty of concerns within the locality.

Cratloe had been initially part of the same scheme but has since been removed from the pilot. The hard shoulder on the N18 dual carriageway at Setright’s Tavern had been the designated stop for the bus but this was later amended to The Woodcross but now Cratloe is no longer part of the pilot and a school bus will return.

Parents in Sixmilebridge were vocal in their call to give back the school bus. They came out in their droves with over 200 people attending the protest which commenced at 07:20 on Thursday morning, they were joined by students and parents from Newmarket-on-Fergus and surrounding areas.

Protestors walked in a loop alongside both sides of the Shannon Rd and used the two pedestrian crossings in the vicinity of McGregor’s Pub and the Sixmilebridge Parish Office.

Traffic was delayed as a result with dozens of motorists forced to turn their car around and use alternative routes while persons relying on the 343 to collect them at different stops en route to Ennis were left waiting at the bus shelters in Shannon, Newmarket-on-Fergus and Clarecastle.

Leading the calls to give ‘us our buses back’ was John Reddan of Sixmilebridge who helped to direct the early morning protest.

Addressing the crowd, Aoife Keogh praised all in attendance for helping to keep the pressure on. “No child will be left behind is our aim,” she said while vowing to continue fighting until the old system is returned.

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Latest News
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 gabriel keating maura mckiernan 7
'Tremendous opportunity for Carrigaholt' says Keating with Irish College 'in the middle of planning process'
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
shelbourne park
Clare greyhounds strike in Shelbourne Park
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 brian lohan 1
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Premium
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.