*Cllr Joe Cooney (FG) is lifted shoulder high following his success in the local elections in June. Photograph: Joe Buckley. 

FINE GAEL have been dealt a setback in Clare after Cllr Joe Cooney (FG) has turned down an offer to run for the party in the General Election.

Party supporters had received a major lift late last week when it emerged that Cllr Cooney an excellent performer when it comes to elections was strongly considering and putting plans in place to launch a bid for the Dáil, however he has confirmed he has opted against contesting the upcoming General Election.

Speaking to The Clare Echo, Cooney confirmed that after considering an approach from An Taoiseach Simon Harris (FG) and party headquarters that he will not be allowing his name forward as a second Fine Gael candidate in Clare.

Work was ongoing behind the scenes across the weekend as the O’Callaghans Mills man prepared to launch an election bid. A former Chairman of Clare GAA, he was present at a number of events including the Clare SHC and Clare SFC finals plus the reopening of Clare GAA’s headquarters in Clareabbey along with several politicians.

When questioned on the speculation in Clareabbey on Saturday, Cllr Cooney told The Clare Echo he was neither in or out of the race.

However, speaking to The Clare Echo on Tuesday evening, the former Mayor of Clare confirmed that his name would not appear on the ballot paper. “I was really never standing, I gave it consideration and I came to the conclusion of no, I gave it good consideration and I’ve decided not to stand over the weekend after giving it plenty of thought”.

To be approached by the Taoiseach was a sign of the esteem with which Cllr Cooney is held within the party. “It felt fantastic to be put into the equation but you have to give everything consideration and I am really enjoying my role on Clare County Council. If it was ten or fifteen years ago I might have looked at the approach in a different manner”.

“Nothing put me off running, it is a big change at this stage in my life and after twenty years on Clare County Council, I just felt it would have been too big a change at this stage in my life,” he added.

Cooney’s potential entry into the race had lifted the spirits of Blueshirts in the county who will now experience a feeling of deflation with his absence from the ticket, considering political pundits were touting him as a potential poll-topper.

Adding a second candidate would be welcomed, Cllr Cooney told The Clare Echo. “If there is a second candidate then I think they should add another one but that is up to the powers that be to make up their mind on that”.

An elected member of Clare County Council since 2004, Cooney has delivered poll-topping performances in 2009, 2014, 2019 and 2024 where he was elected on the first count. This June he received 2,819 first preferences in the Killaloe Municipal District, up on the 2,697 he received in 2019 and the 2,790 of 2009 but it didn’t eclipse his personal best of 2,843 in 2014. Such is his ability to hoover up votes, he has been dubbed ‘the dyson’.

Presently, Leonora Carey (FG) is the only confirmed Fine Gael candidate, The Clare Echo understands that the Carey family are anxious that the party only fields one candidate in the county with party activists keen that a second representative be added to the mix.

Advertisement

Related News

jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
Latest News
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
kildysart v kilmihil 29-08-25 conall casey stan lineen 1
Kildysart produce extra time kick to seal senior status & leave Kilmihil in relegation final
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Premium
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.