*Photograph: John Mangan

No new cases of COVID-19 have been recorded in Co Clare as per today’s (Thursday) figures.

Across the country, 136 new cases have been reported by the Department of Health. These are located in Dublin (51), Kildare (24), Kilkenny (12), Tipperary (11), Cork (7), Limerick (6), Wexford (6), Meath (5) with the remaining 14 divided between Carlow, Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon, Waterford and Wicklow.

Additional data on the new cases has shown that 57 were associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case while 11 have been attributed to community transmission.

There are currently 18 confirmed cases in hospital in the Republic of Ireland.

Department of Health officials have confirmed that two extra cases were recorded in Co Clare in Tuesday’s figures which means 441 persons have tested positive for the virus since March across the county. The total amount of confirmed cases nationally in that period is 27,676.

One additional death from a confirmed case of COVID-19 has been recorded bringing the death toll to 1,776.

Speaking at Thursday’s press briefing, Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group noted that the R-number is now at or above 1.2. He said the overall picture “is of a sustained high level of new cases being confirmed per day and a shift in the pattern of those cases”.

Nolan added, “There were fewer than 20 cases per day in June and July and there was a sudden increase in new cases three weeks ago”. Each day 100 to 113 new cases are being confirmed daily, “that is a significant increase even on last week”.

He acknowledged that numbers in hospitals and ICUs were “very low” in recent weeks but noted that they stopped declining two to three weeks ago and is “slowly rising”. Nolan stated, “We are fortunately confirming very few deaths as time passes, fewer than one per week”.

Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn stated, “The core message from NPHET this week is to limit your social networks. Stick to a limit of 6 people from no more than 3 households indoors, and 15 people outdoors. Risk assess your environment and do not stay if it doesn’t feel safe”.

Results of the Study to Investigate COVID-19 Infection in People Living in Ireland (SCOPI): A national seroprevalence study, June-July 2020 were published by the HSE on Thursday. This study measured antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 virus, which are an indication of past infection with COVID-19. The study reports a prevalence of infection of 0.6% in Sligo and 3.1% in Dublin. Based on these results, HPSC estimates a national prevalence rate of 1.7%.

Dr Derval Igoe, Principal Investigator for SCOPI at the HPSC said: “It is not surprising that a relatively low national seroprevalence of 1.7% was observed here. Other countries in Europe, such as Spain and Italy, where there has been a much more intense epidemic, have reported national seroprevalence estimates of 5% and 2.5% respectively. This means that the vast majority of people living in Ireland had not been infected with SARS-CoV-2 virus by the time of the study”.

Related News

blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Latest News
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.