Latest News County Clare

No increase in Clare COVID-19 cases for fourth day in succession

in Covid-19/Home/News by

*Photograph: John Mangan

6 more deaths and 39 extra cases of COVID-19 have been recorded in the Republic of Ireland with no increase recorded in Co Clare once again.

To date, 1,645 people have died in the country since the outbreak of COVID-19 following confirmation from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre that 6 more people had died.

Officials have been notified of 39 confirmed cases bringing to 24,876 the total amount of people that have tested positive for the virus. The vast majority of the total cases have since recovered.

For the fourth day in succession, Co Clare has recorded no increase in the amount of COVID-19 cases. Data from Wednesday (May 27th) state that there are 322 cases in the county.

Currently, 44 people remain in intensive care units across the country with an increase of four reported in the space of 24 hours.

Ahead of the Bank Holiday weekend, Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan urged that the “high level of compliance” be maintained. He described the congregation in fine weather as “understandable”. Individual behaviours such as washing hands, social distancing and respiratory etiquette will help to keep the virus suppressed, he said.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn asked the public to keep a record of who they meet across the Bank Holiday weekend to help with potential contact tracing.

“Over the bank holiday weekend, we encourage everyone to enjoy the warm weather within recommended guidelines. Public health advice currently recommends outdoor meetings of up to 4 people outside of your household, at a physical distance of 2 metres and within 5km of your home.”

An additional 11 cases have been recorded in Irish nursing homes bringing the figure to 5,080. To date, there have been 1,032 deaths of individuals in residential care settings, 902 of which are nursing home residents.

Three weeks is needed between each phase, Dr Holohan reiterated to see what effect the easing of restrictions have. “Two weeks is not enough, we need to see more”.

Holohan acknowledged that parents may be apprehensive about sending their children back into childcare. He said, NPHET had “taken assurance from what we have learned from other countries that have experienced this before us” where “a significant change in transmission” has not been recorded.

Páraic McMahon is Head of News & Sport with The Clare Echo. The Newmarket-on-Fergus native also writes for national papers including The Irish Examiner, The Irish Independent and The Irish Times along with doing work for RTÉ, Today FM, TheJournal.ie and The42.ie. A graduate of Mary Immaculate College, Páraic was previously employed by The Clare Herald and Clare FM. If you have a story, tip or some feedback for him then send an email to - paraic@clareecho.ie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

Latest from Covid-19

Go to Top