A new management structure has been put in place at Cahercalla Community Hospital and Hospice while confirmation of three new COVID-19 cases has caused fresh concern at the facility.

On Monday, Mowlam Healthcare took charge of the clinical and managerial oversight at Cahercalla. Cahercalla’s Board of Directors who work in a voluntary capacity, continue to have sole ownership of Cahercalla and have ultimate responsibility for the governance of the facility. Mowlam will provide clinical and managerial services.

Cahercalla remains an independent voluntary residential care facility and maintains its charitable status. Employees will retain their existing contractual arrangements and remain on as employees at the Ennis facility.

Issues regarding compliance to HIQA standards became apparent last month as 23 cases of COVID-19 emerged with four deaths occurring as a result of the outbreak.

Dr. Michael Harty, Chairman of the Cahercalla Board told The Clare Echo that governance and management structures became a concern during the pandemic. “We needed to act to address this,” he said.

All options were examined with agreement that the arrival of Mowlam Healthcare viewed as the best move to comply with standards and regulations “with particular emphasis on person centred care and will ensure that Cahercalla continues to protect the safety and welfare of all residents which is our primary focus and responsibility. Dr Harty referenced the 1600 beds already under Mowlam’s management structure as an example of their track record with HIQA.

Family members should not be concerned by the arrival of Mowlam, the Kilmihil GP stated. “I understand people’s concerns but they shouldn’t have any concerns on the quality of care and compassion that will continue to be offered at Cahercalla” and added that the levels would in fact improve.

There was surprise and disappointment in Cahercalla when three new cases of COVID-19 were diagnosed following the completion of its vaccination programme. The first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was administered on the 18th and 19th of January for eligible residents and staff with the second dose received on February 15th and 16th.

Cases of two residents and one staff member became known two days after the second dose was administered as part of weekly swabbing at Cahercalla. “It was something that surprised us,” Dr Harty admitted. He explained that this occurred “outside the window of maximum immunity” as those diagnosed had not yet sufficient levels of immunity but he flagged “no vaccine gives 100 percent immunity”.

It broke a four week spell in Cahercalla of no new positive cases which was “a disappointment” but “demonstrates how unpredictable the virus is”. Dr Harty said it is not yet know how the virus re-entered Cahercalla but that an assessment will be conducted.

Concern had been voiced to The Clare Echo by persons with loved ones in Cahercalla on the impact of having to be moved from their homes again as a result of the outbreak. “We fully accept that it is a person’s home, the decision to move somebody was not taken lightly and was done on the advice of public health. It is to protect other residents and ensure the virus doesn’t spread,” Harty commented.

Related News

ADI Robotics Clare 041
Robotics workshop rolled out in thirteen Clare schools
flagmount ns 1
Schools 'on tenterhooks' over paused plans to cut SNAs
LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
ruan purcells pub 15-02-26 1
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
Latest News
galway greyhound stadium
Colossal Journey makes winning trip to Galway
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 ikem ugwueru brendy rouine 1
Clare player ratings vs Fermanagh: Big hits rolled out to ignite Clare challenge
down v clare 24-01-26 cormac murray 2
Injuries force two changes to Clare football side
clare v down 08-02-26 david fitzgerald 2
Clare name strong side with five changes for Kildare tie
chloe philpott
Philpott wins Munster junior singles title
Premium
Schools 'on tenterhooks' over paused plans to cut SNAs
Hammer blows leaves Bohannon & Rouine as big injury doubts
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
'We want to build steel and the skills will follow' - Foudy focused on building spirit of Clare side
Mid-Term break allowing Clare's injuries to heal

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.