*Bridge Utd’s Alan Mulready in action. Photograph: Cealtra Communications
ALL SOCCER GAMES IN CLARE due to take place this weekend have been postponed.
Fourth round ties in the Munster Junior Cup and Munster Youth Cup have been cancelled. In a statement on Friday evening, the Munster FA said the decision was made due to “inclement weather conditions. This decision has been made with the health and safety of all involved in those games in mind”.
While some counties in the province have opted for games outside of the Munster Cups to continue, a spokesperson for the Clare District Soccer League (CDSL) has told The Clare Echo that they have similarly made the call to cancel all games scheduled for this weekend. U17, Ladies and Junior League games are all pulled as a result.
It means no more games will be played locally this year and that the Christmas break now comes into effect. Action will resume on January 14th/15th.
Home advantage had been secured by Newmarket Celtic, Bridge Utd and Shannon Town for their respective fourth round ties in the Munster Junior Cup.
Bridge Utd were due to host Avondale Utd in Frank Healy Park on Saturday evening while Newmarket and Shannon Town had been preparing for Sunday clashes against Killavilla Utd AFC and Corkbeg AFC. These games will be refixed for the middle of January, The Clare Echo understands.
For the Munster Youths Cup, Bridge Utd were due to travel to Blarney Utd with Tulla Utd also on the road against Watergrasshill Utd. The meeting of Avenue Utd and Lifford FC was the only Premier Division tie scheduled for this weekend. Three games in the First Division and four in the Second Division are not going to proceed with one Women’s Premier League.