*Bridge Utd’s Alan Mulready in action. Photograph: Cealtra Communications

ALL SOCCER GAMES IN CLARE due to take place this weekend have been postponed.

Fourth round ties in the Munster Junior Cup and Munster Youth Cup have been cancelled. In a statement on Friday evening, the Munster FA said the decision was made due to “inclement weather conditions. This decision has been made with the health and safety of all involved in those games in mind”.

While some counties in the province have opted for games outside of the Munster Cups to continue, a spokesperson for the Clare District Soccer League (CDSL) has told The Clare Echo that they have similarly made the call to cancel all games scheduled for this weekend. U17, Ladies and Junior League games are all pulled as a result.

It means no more games will be played locally this year and that the Christmas break now comes into effect. Action will resume on January 14th/15th.

Home advantage had been secured by Newmarket Celtic, Bridge Utd and Shannon Town for their respective fourth round ties in the Munster Junior Cup.

Bridge Utd were due to host Avondale Utd in Frank Healy Park on Saturday evening while Newmarket and Shannon Town had been preparing for Sunday clashes against Killavilla Utd AFC and Corkbeg AFC. These games will be refixed for the middle of January, The Clare Echo understands.

For the Munster Youths Cup, Bridge Utd were due to travel to Blarney Utd with Tulla Utd also on the road against Watergrasshill Utd. The meeting of Avenue Utd and Lifford FC was the only Premier Division tie scheduled for this weekend. Three games in the First Division and four in the Second Division are not going to proceed with one Women’s Premier League.

Advertisement

Related News

Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Latest News
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
8ADEA71C-AA8E-43C5-AAB6-684A5D8EF880
'Battle of the Bands' returns to Lucas' Bar
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Premium
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered
clonlara v crusheen 23-08-25 diarmuid mullins colm galvin 1
The Water Break: Eruptions of excitement already with Clare SHC quarter-final pairings

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.