*Minister Darragh O’Brien addresses members of the Clare Pyrite Action Group. Photograph: Joe Buckley

Homeowners in Clare affected by the presence of defective concrete blocks in their homes will know within “a matter of weeks” if they are eligible for inclusion on a redress scheme.

Currently the Clare Pyrite Action Group has 72 members who say their house is infected by pyrite, on top of this two housing estates constructed by Clare County Council and two prominent buildings in the county are also impacted while it is believed that hundreds of houses in Clare, at least have pyrite.

On July 29th, the County Council submitted an application to the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage to extend the Defective Concrete Blocks Scheme to Clare.

Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien TD (FF) during an official visit to the county outlined his aspirations to proceed with the application. “We’re assessing it like the applications that would have come in for Mayo and Donegal, we’re not dragging our feet on it, I’ve assured the group of that. We want to bring the review of the submission to conclusion as soon as we can, there is no budgetary issue of that and I assured the group of that too. As long as the criteria is met, I don’t see any issue, I’m here to help the homeowners”.

He met with Dr Martina Cleary, Mary Hanley and Michelle Mansfield of the Clare Pyrite Action Group on Friday morning while later visiting the home of Ms Hanley in Drumline that day. “I’m focused on concluding the work within the Department to give certainty to homeowners in this region and we will do that, then it is a matter of going to ensure work is scheduled for people, there is no budgetary issue with regard to Clare”.

Sufficient funds exist within the Department, Minister O’Brien stated. “I don’t know what it will cost until the submission goes through but we’ve sufficient funds for this year and will have sufficient funds for next year. When I was in Donegal last year and met with homeowners, the original defective block scheme was launched before I took over as Minister, but when I was in Donegal I committed to a multi-annual scheme and it will be, it will also be referenced very strongly in the Housing for All Housing Plan that is going to be published next week”.

Affected homeowners previously spoke to The Clare Echo of their fear about becoming “homeless pensioners”. The Minister said he has no intention of letting this occur. “One thing that might be a small advantage is I’ve quite a depth of knowledge with regard to this subject and experience in my own area. I’ve been campaigning from the backbenches since 2012 for a pyrite scheme so I think the residents here will have someone who is here to help not to hinder”.

“I intend to deliver. I’m not being facetious about this in any shape or form, already I’ve visited homes that have been remediated, I’ve seen homes where they’ve been re-certified and what it means to people and families, it is my job as Minister to deliver but it is also my job to be responsible and realistic about the timeframe for doing that, to fix what we have and the issues particularly in the West with Donegal, Mayo, Clare and other counties, it is going to take a number of years but the scheduling of that work is important, we have to give people certainty around it”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.